• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Um, I think this battery issue will be a problem...

My battery life is pretty terrible. I charged for a few hours last night until the LED turned green. I had it on for about 30 minutes last night....played with some settings. Turned it off. Its been on this morning for about 3 hours and according battery indicator it seems like I have a little more than half battery left. I did take a subway, where there is no service, but I was only down there for about 15 minutes. This stinks. I can only hope it gets better.

Upvote 0
I've had the phone for 2 days and with moderate usage the battery is not lasting a full day. My experience has been the same as the original post here. I charged it overnight and had to re-charge at about 4pm yesterday.

I haven't tried all the fancy ways to cut back battery life - I really hate the idea of disabling stuff I expected to use (like live wallpapers, etc.).

Hopefully we can figure out a good compromise here, because I don't like the idea of having to plunk down $60 for an 'extended' life battery just to get through a full day...

Definitely my #1 concern after having the phone for 2 days. Even mentioned to my wife that we might have to return them if we can't figure something out.

Other than that the phone lives up to the pros/con that has been described in the reviews. It's definitely a very cool phone.

Upvote 0
I've had the phone for 2 days and with moderate usage the battery is not lasting a full day. My experience has been the same as the original post here. I charged it overnight and had to re-charge at about 4pm yesterday.

I haven't tried all the fancy ways to cut back battery life - I really hate the idea of disabling stuff I expected to use (like live wallpapers, etc.).

Hopefully we can figure out a good compromise here, because I don't like the idea of having to plunk down $60 for an 'extended' life battery just to get through a full day...

Definitely my #1 concern after having the phone for 2 days. Even mentioned to my wife that we might have to return them if we can't figure something out.

Other than that the phone lives up to the pros/con that has been described in the reviews. It's definitely a very cool phone.

I don't know how you use your phone but I have noticed that with the multitasking that it may be necessary to kill certain programs running in the background. For example, I tried Slacker Radio last night and paused the song. I didn't realize that it was still running in the background and in the first 3 hours I had the phone on it lost 26% of its battery. Once I turned it off the phone has gone down 2% over the last hour.

Just a thought.

Reactions: htc-thc
Upvote 0
Sadly, I'm chiming in with a similar story as the OP. Got my Incredible on Tuesday and gave it a full charge that night. Since then, battery life has been horrible. I have wifi, bluetooth and GPS turned off.

This morning, after a full night's charge, unplugged the phone. Took a look 8 minutes later, and I was at 97% charge.

After driving to work and keeping it charged in the car, I unplugged it at max battery life. Literally took the elevator up to my office and when I got signal again it was at 89%.

Did the field test thing jvm2 sugggested and here's what I show:
Rx Power -84 dbm
Rx Ec/Io -6 db

My battery usage:
Android system 35%
Cell standby 25%
Phone idle 15%
Display 11%
Camera 7% (just took a photo at the office so I guess that's why it's open)
Android Live Wallpapers 5%
Dialer 2%

I've been unplugged for 1h 53s, and I have about 60% left.

Help!?

Upvote 0
Sadly, I'm chiming in with a similar story as the OP. Got my Incredible on Tuesday and gave it a full charge that night. Since then, battery life has been horrible. I have wifi, bluetooth and GPS turned off.

This morning, after a full night's charge, unplugged the phone. Took a look 8 minutes later, and I was at 97% charge.

After driving to work and keeping it charged in the car, I unplugged it at max battery life. Literally took the elevator up to my office and when I got signal again it was at 89%.

Rx Power -84 dbm
Rx Ec/Io -6 db

My battery usage:
Android system 35%
Cell standby 25%
Phone idle 15%
Display 11%
Dialer 2%

Help!?

What widgets do you have running?

Upvote 0

Rx Power -84 dbm
Rx Ec/Io -6 db

My battery usage:
Android system 35%
Cell standby 25%
Phone idle 15%
Display 11%
Dialer 2%

Help!?

Go check and see what programs are running in the background.

Go to Menu-->Applications-->Running Services

Look and see what is running. If there is a program running that you do not need kill that program. I did this with Slacker Radio and my battery usage dropped like a rock.

Upvote 0
Go check and see what programs are running in the background.

Go to Menu-->Applications-->Running Services

Look and see what is running. If there is a program running that you do not need kill that program. I did this with Slacker Radio and my battery usage dropped like a rock.

Damn, I had a lot running, like Skype Mobile (which I have but thought I "closed") as well as Pandora. Gonna stop these things and see if it helps, thanks!

Upvote 0
Damn, I had a lot running, like Skype Mobile (which I have but thought I "closed") as well as Pandora. Gonna stop these things and see if it helps, thanks!

No problem. Let me know if that helps.

I shut it off from Running Services - the widget is still on 1 of my screens. Does this mean it's still "on" or will it not turn on again until I hit play?

Right, if you kill it the widget is just there like an program shortcut. I noticed in Slacker that it shows what is currently playing on the widget, or what is paused, but when I killed the process it just showed the plain Slacker widget there. So, it definitely is not running when you kill the program.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
I just noticed Pandora was running in the background and likely draining my battery. That being said I have been a bit disappointed in the battery performance thus far but hoping it will improve once I learn which stuff not to have running in the background. It's definitely not a deal breaker as I'm usually near my desk, car or home where I have chargers but still a bit of a let down given how the phone seems to do everything else exceptionally well.

Upvote 0
I took it out of the box and put it straight on the charger; didn't touch it until green.

Then I fired it up and activated it. Then I setup my Google account and Exchange account to sync my contacts and calendar.

That's it. So it's been on less than 2 hours and is approaching 50% charge. Not good.

So, yeah, the thing runs like lightning, but I'm afraid that may be because it runs on lightning.

Upvote 0
Yea, I had to get Verizon CSR to send me a new one, this is what I posted in the other thread...

I preordered my Incredible on 04/19, I received it on Tues 04/27, charged it up, set everything up, used it, charged again Tues night, used it all day Wed, but the battery was dead by 5pm. Tried charging from 5pm yesterday all the way till 7am this morning. The phone wouldn't charge, wouldn't even power up while plugged in now. I've called Verizon CSR, & they're overnighting me a new one for tomorrow. I don't have time to goto the Verizon store & wait & fight the lines with people getting their Incredibles today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones