UMA - is it possible on the Nexus One? (for those of us on T-Mo)

Last Updated:

1. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

title says it all... for those of us on T-Mobile US.... is it possible to somehow enable UMA on the Nexus One? Through a 3rd party app or hack or root??

this would be killer if it did! it was the best feature on the 9700 i had for a few brief days (nevermind the rest of it sucked balls :p )

so UMA? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Kesey

Kesey Member

No.

3. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

It is not only/just a matter of rooting or enabling or an application. Tmobile must allow the device itself the priviledge. My thoughts are tmo is moving away from uma.

4. mi_canuck

i know they are doing away with hotspots, but uma was a fantastic idea... there isn't always a repeater cell antenna deep inside many buildings most of the time...

but it's wishful thinking at this point...

5. Winvent

Winvent Member

I've heard from someone inside UMA with Tmo that it's still slated for further expansion.

6. mi_canuck

that would definitely be good...

7. System6

System6 Well-Known Member

I have am inside source at T-mobile, and UMA is on the top 3 things they will be pushing this year, so I would expect more. That being said... since this isn't a T-mobile branded device, I don't see it coming at all.

Google voice should offer true VOIP in the near future and Magicjack announced a UMA device for all bands and all carriers. No release date as of yet, and mobile experts don't see it becoming a reality because technically they would need permission from each carrier to use their band in accordance with FCC regulations.

For now, there is a free app called "Truphone" that offers VOIP calling on the market. Good luck!

I need VOIP so bad... service in my house is non-existent. Outside? 3G, 4 bars. That is the only thing I miss about my BB 8900.... sweet, sweet UMA...

8. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

I'm coming from the same boat, had my BB8900 and UMA was great for me especially at my university where I have a bunch of classes in the basement level with no service :( But the gains from the N1 far outweigh the loss of UMA so I'm still extremely happy!

9. System6

Indeed.... I'm all...I can't make a call or send a text, but check out this awesome game! PLUS! Does your phone have such an awesome wi-fi youtube app? huh....huh?! :)

10. konman795

Yea, my friend was over the other day with his iPhone and we were both looking at youtube videos and he asked me, "hey what app are you using to watch your youtube videos on?" and I was like, "I don't need an app to use youtube, the iPhone does?" Yea, he was getting jealous.

11. mi_canuck

this is great to hear - that T-Mobile at least will remain committed to UMA... although the Nexus One being possibly left out is a bummer... although with the hacker community, i'm sure (I hope at least!) that someone will figure out how to alow the Nexus to do UMA...

I had a 9700 (T-Mo branded) for a few brief days... UMA was real nice! too bad the rest of the phone/device was shyte....

12. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

Um... the Nexus One uses the Youtube app to watch videos. Just like the iPhone.

13. konman795

Oh that's an app? I thought it was just built in natively... shoot.

14. System6

For all of you taking my last post so seriously....it was a joke. I know the iPhone has a youtube app... I was relating to the above poster that most of the time my phone works awesome at everything except "being a phone" because of poor signal where I live. Sorry for the confusion.