UMA Support on Vibrant

Last Updated:

1. michaeldonovan

michaeldonovan New Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone able to get UMA going on the vibrant. I have a BB Tour with Sprint and looking to make the jump and but the UMA/Hotspot is very important to me. Have been hearing conflicting stuff, just wanted to see if anyone was able to get UMA to work on a vibrant.

Advertisement
  2. aneftp

aneftp Well-Known Member

There will not be "true uma" support on any android phones. Tmobile is enabling wifi calling on select future android handsets and currently G2. But they have not said anything about android wifi calling with previuosly released handsets like the Vibrant.

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

From everything I've heard to date aneftp is correct. If you need UMA the Vibrant is not for you; it will never have it.

4. psz

psz Well-Known Member

The Unofficial 2.2 has WiFi calling on the Vibrant, but I have no idea of Official 2.2 will.

And this is just WiFi calling. Hop on an open WiFi (or log on to a secure one), and you can place/recieve calls.

Nothing fancy.

5. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Like aneftp previously stated, true UMA will not be available on the vibrant or any Android phone. True UMA is only available on select blackberry devices on T-mobiles network.

6. ETNSC

ETNSC Member

The advantage of true UMA over WiFi calling are mainly convenience. UMA will automatically take over when coming into range of a configured AP and automatically hand-off to the cell tower when you are out of range of the AP. The auto hand-off on my Blackberry never worked. The auto access worked good.

My understanding of the WiFi calling is that you have to start an app when you are in range of an open or configured AP and I assume close the app when you leave the WiFi coverage area.

As for making calls they are pretty much the same except WiFi calling will use your plan minutes where UMA did not. Not sure if T-Mobile is changing the UMA to use plan minutes with the new data plans.

In the leaked 2.2 ROMs that are being developed at XDA both Eugene373 and Team Whiskey have report that WiFi calling was in the leak and both have WiFi calling working.

7. ETNSC

ETNSC Member

Pretty fancy when your TMo coverage sux and you can barely make or receive calls from home. It is really the only thing I miss about the BB.

8. psz

psz Well-Known Member

You don't need to open an app to make a WiFi call.

You get a notification when you're connected to a WiFi that WiFi calling is enabled.

The only downsides are, of course, no auto-handoff (from what I understand), and if your connection speed sucks (Not just your WiFi, but your actual broadband service) the sound quality can be very degraded (as is the case when I try to call from work... I do better with my normal cell coverage there)

9. reddragon72

reddragon72 Well-Known Member

First UMA is UMA the whole "true UMA" is rubbish. UMA is just how a phone attaches to the mobile network not it's ability to "hand off", that was just an extra feature that T-Mobile threw in there on the BB's as a selling point and as mentioned by many people hardly ever works.

I am running the untouched stock 2.2 that Eugene put out(not his R11/R12) and it runs fine. Wifi calling feature is running in the background all the time as I never turn it off and when I get to work I turn on my WIFI and once it is attached the Wifi Calling app automatically activates. I don't have to do anything other then turn on my wifi and when I walk in and out of the wifi range the phone goes back and forth from tower to Wifi calling(as I have no tower signal at all in my lab).

As for the minutes being used this is normal for all UMA phones. There was an added 10 dollar plan that allowed unlimited UMA calls and was also apart of some older BB plans but T-Mobile did away with that.

As for Android phones getting Wifi Calling it is all phones that are going to be upgraded to Android 2.2(Froyo). Those that are not in the 2.2 upgrade path will not be getting the app until XDA figures out how to add it to any 2.0 and higher phone as the app works with Android 2.0 and up.

10. tringalama

tringalama New Member

Can you explain how you have setup the 2.2 with wifi calling?