Un-rooted but I updated the radio to 2.05

Last Updated:

1. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hope I can get some ideas on how to get my Dinc back to stock so I can get the 2.2 update

Details:
    1st) My Dinc is not rooted, however last week I did update my radio to 2.05, following instructions on putting the 2.05 radio file on my SD card, etc. No problems worked great
    2nd) Now I've learned I can't get the update due to 2.05 being on my phone - No I don't want to root and no I don't want to manually force the update on via RUU
    3rd) What is the easiest/quickest/simplest way to get my phone back to the stock radio so I can get the OTA?

Appreciate everyone's help

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

You have to root to downgrade the radio. It wasn't an official update, so you shouldn't be surprised that you can't update with it.

3. cloudyview

cloudyview Member

after a LOT of searching I did the RUU.

The RUU will update the phone and should allow for future OTA's...but it will wipe the information on the phone currently.

Because the RUU wipes the phone, i actually did root the phone and use Titanium Backup so I could restore all my user data.

So, now I'm sitting on 2.2 with root, so I can get rid of the extra bloatware that Verizon has decided to throw on the phone. I'll probably be going through adb later tonight or this weekend to get rid of all the stuff :)

Unfortunately there's really not a good way to get off that 2.05 radio...you either need to downgrade, which requires root, or you have to use the RUU which wipes the phone.

If you have questions on the process used for root + RUU I can help a bit, as well as direct you to the instructions I followed.

4. cloudyview

cloudyview Member

5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

You have to root. When you loaded the leaked OTA for 2.05 it also upgraded your bootloader. So if you try to IMG down to stock it will fail due to newer bootloader version.

So you have a couple options:

1.) Root, Unrevoked Forever, flash radio to 2.15, load newest Roms that are the OTA in Rom form and variants thereof.

2.) Root, Follow the 2nd video (+ files) in the following thread to downgrade bootloader and then proceed to stock via 2.1 IMG downgrade. Root will be lost and OTA can be accepted:

http://androidforums.com/incredible...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html

6. cloudyview

cloudyview Member

The RUU should also work fine, even without root, shouldn't it?

I pulled the rom.zip out of the RUU and renamed that to PB31IMG.zip and off it went, once I got into HBOOT. (I only did this because the RUU .exe wasn't working right on either of my computers)

7. rmreid

rmreid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice - I somehow managed to brick my phone :( so the adventure is temporarily over for me

8. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Bricked means it doesnt power on at all. Are you really bricked, or just in some other boot state? We can help that.

9. bulld0ggg

bulld0ggg Active Member

I bricked my Dinc today trying to update the radio, I was rooted using Unrevoked 3 and Forever and had just went back to the stock 2.1 and it was working fine. I then wanted to update the radio as it said we had to be back at the stock Hboot and 2.1. So i put the updated zip on my SD card and booted into Hboot and then Recovery and ran the zip from there, it seemed to be loading and updating correctly for awhile and and then black screen and no power light, I waited about a hour and still nothing I tried pressing all of the buttons in various combinations and nothing. So finally I decided to pull the battery and left it out for a few minutes and then reinstalled it and still nothing but black/dead screen and no power led even when I plug it in. Looks like I am the owner of a High Tech Brick now:(. Called VZ and talked to there Tier 2 and told them it happened while I was getting the 2.2 OTA, replacement should be here tomorrow, paid the $20 for Saturday delivery. This Dinc is my lifeline.....So lesson to all....you CAN brick a Dinc

10. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

not sure what you did but never try to flash a radio from clockwork.

11. bulld0ggg

bulld0ggg Active Member

I was back to the stock recovery, thats why Im not sure what happened unless I just got a bad zip. Replacement phone should here any time.

12. eson126

eson126 Member

what would you all recommend to be the best battery effecient setup? sorry a 2-day D INC owner looking for some guidance! my stock 2.2 setup lasts only 3 hours of awake time =(