• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to access 3g/4g network

Strider2

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
Hi

I am currently having an issue with my HTC EVO 3d where it will only access the Edge network. I went to the service provider LIME/ Cable & Wireles Barbados for assistance but on checking they found all of my APN settings were correct and they were unable to assist further. I have done some reading on the forums and I have a feeling that it may be down to the frequency that my provider broadcasts 3g/4g at but I am not 100% sure.

On their official website they noted that they broadast 4g/HSPA 850 Mhz. I am pretty sure that this phone can operate on this frequency.

Is there a way to manually change the frequencies the phone searches for 3g/4g? Or am I going about trying to go about this the wrong way.

Can anyone help?

Welcome to the forums!

My GSM experience is old, but I traveled a lot overseas, so I will toss out what I think that I know. :D If anyone with firsthand info on your model contradicts me, believe them. :)

So far as I know, all frequency selection should be automatic. If I am wrong and settings exist, they should be under homescreens, menu, settings, Wireless & networks.

In your shoes, I would try to see what your local towers are showing for signals. My UK GSM buddies seem to like this app for that -

Network System Info

I use this one myself -

Open Signal Maps

You might find a tower issue that way and rule out the phone. Anyway, maybe a place to start.

Hope this helps!

PS - here are your phone specs.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_evo_3d-3901.php

Upvote 0
Hey EarlyMon

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try what you advised and see how this works. On a side note I tried an experiment with my sister's blackberry bold 2 where I switched her Digicel (competitor) sim card into my phone and I was able to get on to 4g so I can definitely confirm the phone works.

When I put my simcard into her blackberry phone it picks up the 3g network so I assume its down to either my APN settings on my htc or the frequency that my service provider broadcasts their 3g/4g networks at.

I made sure when I tested I was in an area where I was near to the towers of both providers so I know for sure 3g/4g was available.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones