• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to add apps into folders

wib

Lurker
Nov 28, 2010
Hi

I've recently found that I'm unable to add new apps into folders

I open a folder on a home screen, click the 'Personalise' button and then click the 'App' section and a brief message of 'Your Home Screen is full. Please remove an item to add another' is displayed and then fades away

All of my home screens are full, with a mix of apps directly linked, widgets and folders and this has never been a problem before, where I was able to add additional items into an open folder

I'm guessing that somehow the system believes that the folder is not open and hasn't got focus when I try to add new Apps into the folder

I like to organise/group apps into folders, for those apps I use less frequently, so similar/related apps can be found quickly and easily, with only the directly linked apps on my home pages for frequently used apps

Has anyone ever experienced this before and if so, what's the solution, other than remove an app/widget from a home screen before adding an app into a folder

Is this not a type of bug or as Microsoft would have us beleive a 'feature'?!

I'm running a standard unbranded DHD, software details;

Android: 2.3.3
HTC Sense: 2.1
Software Number: 2.50.405.2

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated, Wib

Never used folders myself, I've only about 4 icons on my central homescreen and 4 in the dock (my PC desktops are all the same :p).

Have you tried one of the folder organizer apps? I believe this is quite a good one, it certainly gets pretty good reviews. From the pics, it looks as though you sort within the app itself as opposed to live on one of your homescreens which might eliminate your problem.

If that doesn't suit, let me know and I can have a mess about, see if I can come up with anything.

Reactions: wib
Upvote 0
Thanks for that advice, much appreciated

I've now downloaded the app and this seems to be a much better way of creating and managing folders, both functionally and visually

I actually found the root cause of my issue, up until last week I had one spare 'space' available across my 5 home screens, which technically then allowed me to add new apps into folders (normal android folders), however, upon filling the 'space' even though I'm wanting to add apps into open folders I received the error

To me this seems to be a small bug/feature, which logically shouldn't exist, but does. Such is life ;)

This download gets around the space issue as you don't directly add apps into folders, but do so using the folder app and has plenty more features which makes life so much easier, including app name sorting within the folder

Thanks once again, much appreciated, Wib

Upvote 0
Hi

My phone is just an out-of-the-box DHD, although unbranded but with an O2 SIM

Oops, I've just checked and I'm using the HTC scene and I have 7 home screens available, so apologies for the confusion!!!

Two of my home screens have full page widgets, so effectively I have 5 other screens available, on which I have a mix of applications, folders and widgets

I'll also give the Go Launcher a go, this sounds like it gives a similar ability to that on an iPhone/Touch with no page limit, although I have to say, that at the moment the Folder Organiser does work for me and give me what I need, as well and visually being better to look at and have more functionality than the standard Android folders

Yes, I will drop dev an email, just to mention the issue I found, it's probably something already seen/logged, but no harm mentioning it again

Thanks once again for all your help and support, Wib

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones