• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to bypass WiFi setup screen (Nexus 7)

earthyred

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Hi,

I have a question about the Nexus 7 (Jelly Bean OS). I just fired up a brand new one and cannot get it to go past the WiFi setup screen. At boot-up, it goes straight from the gateway screen (language selection screen) right to the WiFi setup screen, giving no way that I can see to get to the home screen.

I do not have WiFi at home and don't intend to get it, so I need to be able to navigate directly to the home screen instead, as I don't plan to use any WiFi connectivity at all from home. Is there a way to get past the WiFi setup screen and to the home screen? I've tried everything.

Don't tell me they engineered this thing in a way that does not allow the user to bypass WiFi settings and go straight to the home screen!? If this turns out to be the case, I may have to return it.

Please help!

thanks

Thanks but no, there is no WiFi router here.

What I find odd is that the videos that are out there for this device seem to show that the screens go from the language selection screen right to the home screen, but this one won't do that, it insists on going to the WiFi connection settings page and gives no way out of that except to set up a WiFi connection, which I can't do from home.

Could they have really been so dumb as to engineer this thing so that there is no way for a user to get to the home screen irrespective of the WiFi settings? Shouldn't I be able to go into the main home screen (and thus, the tablet's entire O/S) first by default, and then set up WiFi settings by going into the page for those from there?

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I never saw a skip button and believe me I was looking hard. I have tried shutdown/reboot numerous times, but nothing changes.

My plan now is to go to a Starbucks tomorrow and get a free connection going and hope that that changes things. Hopefully this problem only exists relative to the very first WiFi connection that occurs on a new machine... but then again, you guys are saying you got a skip button. That's weird that this one doesn't have one.

Now I just found a thread where, like me, a guy was unable to skip the wifi setup --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1909602

That is not consistent with the fact that others are getting a skip button... I just don't get this stuff---unless this is a bug.

I can go tomorrow and hook up with a public wi-fi connection, but I'm worried that as soon as I come home and I'm out of range of that public connection, it might go back to a state of forcing me to set up a wi-fi connection--which I cannot do.

I know some of you guys might think it sounds weird, but the deal is that this is actually my partner's new tablet and she is adamantly against having wi-fi in the house, but can accept being exposed to it occasionally when using the tablet at public spots. We both suspect that there is something of a health hazard from the EMFs wi-fi gives off, and we simply don't want a router in the house. She would like to be able to use it "sans-wifi" at home, and then use it at public hot spots at other times.

I'm having a really hard time imagining that the people who made this thing could not envision that there would be a lot of times when users might want to just (for example) read an onboard PDF, or play a (non-online) game, etc., and would not need or want the wi-fi to be switched on!

Upvote 0
the health risks with EMF are non existent (I believe) high EMF will give people the feeling of being freaked out, but that's bout it

But what if the health risk, instead of being immediate and acute, is latent, cumulative, and long-term? You can't correlate anything now if the effect it has is that you get cancer after 10 years of exposure to it. See what I mean? Just because it isn't causing overt health effects or symptoms you can see or feel right now, short-term, doesn't mean that it's not doing anything at all. It could be one of those things that lulls you into a false sense of security and you stop worrying about it for 5 or 10 or 15 years and then boom...

Upvote 0
But what if the health risk, instead of being immediate and acute, is latent, cumulative, and long-term? You can't correlate anything now if the effect it has is that you get cancer after 10 years of exposure to it. See what I mean? Just because it isn't causing overt health effects or symptoms you can see or feel right now, short-term, doesn't mean that it's not doing anything at all. It could be one of those things that lulls you into a false sense of security and you stop worrying about it for 5 or 10 or 15 years and then boom...

Well, what if you could catch a fart and paint it blue? You might make a living at but the latency of all that methane and paint fumes over a lifetime could shorten your life to a mere 90 years.

Or you could get hit by a bus.

Rootbrain

Upvote 0
Thanks but no, there is no WiFi router here.

What I find odd is that the videos that are out there for this device seem to show that the screens go from the language selection screen right to the home screen, but this one won't do that, it insists on going to the WiFi connection settings page and gives no way out of that except to set up a WiFi connection, which I can't do from home.

Could they have really been so dumb as to engineer this thing so that there is no way for a user to get to the home screen irrespective of the WiFi settings? Shouldn't I be able to go into the main home screen (and thus, the tablet's entire O/S) first by default, and then set up WiFi settings by going into the page for those from there?

I am so stuck in this same situation right now. I am at the WiFi choice page and can not see the Skip option. :s

I've shut down and started up many times.

Edir** I just found this => --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1909602
if this is what I need to know Ill try it.

Ok i went to => ill be busy for awhile ill text ya when i can have company
to see if the solution was there. But I ahve to say, at a glance it is greek to me. Anyone know how I can bypass the WiFi screen or find the Skip option pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease????

2nd Edit: I think I see a Reset hole on the side. So frustrated, I am ganna try that.

Upvote 0
This result shows up in Google with the same question I had, so I thought I would add this:

I had found a similar reset article on Google's website that mentioned having Android 5+ and a Google account on the phone before resetting it would require that you log into it using that same account after the reset, I guess to make sure it wasn't stolen by someone else. If that is the problem in mine and your case, then that probably requires a network connection without the ability skip. I say the skip text in the bottom right-hand corner, across from the Go Back text on the left-had side, and it was greyed out, probably because of that restriction.

I skimmed the reset article Entangled posted, but I don't see an other option that might have helped them, so not sure what they did to fix their problem.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a question about the Nexus 7 (Jelly Bean OS). I just fired up a brand new one and cannot get it to go past the WiFi setup screen. At boot-up, it goes straight from the gateway screen (language selection screen) right to the WiFi setup screen, giving no way that I can see to get to the home screen.

I do not have WiFi at home and don't intend to get it, so I need to be able to navigate directly to the home screen instead, as I don't plan to use any WiFi connectivity at all from home. Is there a way to get past the WiFi setup screen and to the home screen? I've tried everything.

Don't tell me they engineered this thing in a way that does not allow the user to bypass WiFi settings and go straight to the home screen!? If this turns out to be the case, I may have to return it.

Please help!

thanks
Hi,

Please help!

thanks
Why dont you just remove the sim card and try again hope it will work for you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones