Unable to change HTC Desire custom SMS per contactSupport

Last Updated: 2013-02-04 18:28:29
  1. njayj

njayj Member

how do i specify an individual sms tone for contacts? i can only change it globally.

also, is there a way to have one wallpaper per screen rather than one spanning across all of them?

thanks,

enJayJ

Advertisement
  2. njayj

njayj Member

i rang up htc to find out officially if you can set an individual sms notifcation tone per contact, and the answer is nope! but they did say subtly that third party apps might be able to provide such function.

i tried chompsms, but that doesn't seem to be able to allow that. anyone else managed to come across a solution?
  3. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

Handcent works for me. It offers quite alot of features and is easy to set up.

It's free on the market (just search for 'handcent' if it's not already on the front page)
  4. njayj

njayj Member

hi Celox, thanks for the reply. i have downloaded the app. i can't seem to find the option where i can set a notifcation for a contact. does it add something to the 'people' edit list or is it within the app itself.

i have 2 tones, one i'd like to apply globally and have one applied to a single contact only.

thanks,

enJayJ
  5. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

ChompSMS and Handcent allow you to have custom sms tones per contact.

As far as I know : ChompSMS you need to have a text in the conversation list visible for that contact (sent or received) and what you need to do is hold down on the conversation for that contact and then you will get a few options, one being Set Ringtone.
    This will allow you to have a custom tone for that contact.

Handcent is pretty much the same but will also allow you to do it in the actual conversation for that contact as far as I remember, there should be a option up the top right that allows you to set a custom sms tone, although there may be a different way of doing it.

Hope that helps
  6. njayj

njayj Member

AWESOME!!! thanks WozzaX. this one the one thing that was really annoying me about my new phone and now i have it working!

thanks again and enjoy the rest of your day.

enJayJ
  7. Pickle13207

Pickle13207 Member

Hi

I have handcent but cannot find how to do this, can you give me a helping hand please :)
  8. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Well-Known Member

Go into Handcent and select the contact you want to change the notification settings for (as though you were about to send them a text message) and you'll see a little button in the top right off the screen. Press it and away you go.
  9. htcforme

htcforme Well-Known Member

You can also change the LED color per contact with Handcent which I think is a new feature. Theres a thread going around here somewhere which it explains it. I checked out and it works a treat, its really cool.
  10. Grim Reaper

Grim Reaper New Member

Hi, had the desire for a week and just getting to gripd with it, I have downloded Handcent, but I can only assign a SMS tone to people who have sent me messages and the messages is still on my phone.

Can someone help and tell me how to set an individual SMS tone to all my contacts regardless of whether they have sent me a message.

11. prinbird

prinbird New Member

Well i have to say i have sat here all day today (and not for the first time of trying either) trying to solve the mystery of the text tone, and finally i have solved it.
    Tap on text messages, make sure your on the screen where you can type a new message, go to settings then scroll down to notifications sound tap this and then choose what tone you want :)
    Barbara
    farpadana likes this.
  12. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

SMSPopup can do this as well. A good App for free and handy if you want some of the features of Handcent or Chomp but don't want to replace the solid built in HTC messaging app.
  13. crimpy.aus

crimpy.aus New Member

Does anyone know how to disable the Factory Messaging app, when i get a message both Handcent and the HTC Message app go off.
  14. channelsurfer

channelsurfer Well-Known Member

Open the HTC messaging app then:

Menu ====> Settings and turn off all Notification options
  15. farpadana

farpadana Member

Thank a lot
    it really does the job for me
  16. cugglesbubbles

cugglesbubbles New Member

search for sms ringtones in pla store its made by suttung software this allows you to set incoming messages/calls tones and can set inderviual tones to contacts too think orginal seach i used terms "ringtone picker"