• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to connec to network with LG Optimus 3D - read if you also want to say WTF!!!!

scgLogan

Lurker
Mar 12, 2012
So I am pretty new to the whole Android phone, in fact my current phone is a Blackberry Curve 8250, and before you guys go all ballistic on me, it was a good phone and served its purpose but now it was time to move up a little in the world. So after much reading on forums, discussion boards, opinions and so forth I decided to upgrade my contract to include the new LG Optimus 3D P920 phone with all these cool wonderful features and hopefully get me back out there on the technology wing which I seem to be lacking of late.

New phone, excitement is paramount, insert in my SIM card only to get a 'No Network' error. Well it had to be my SIM cause the thing is pretty damn old and looks like it has been through a few wars. Next day, go get a new SIM, get the swap done, put new SIM in phone - still the same, 'No Network'.

After testing with other SIM cards, which are working by the way, they are read just fine and their network comes up and everything - working phone. But NOTHING with my account. So I return to the store, they do all the same things and can only come to the conclusion that it is an out of the box failure. Ok, so maybe this is something, phone goes in and I am still stuck using my old Blackberry, and I am now busy looking at what I can do with this phone and where to get all the apps.

Cause its a good phone, I think it will be great actually. So it takes a week and finally the store gets the phone back, only to my surprise its a whole new phone. new packaging and everything. Give the clerk my SIM, anxiously await to hear the comment 'Phone is now working!' ONLY to have it read 'No Network'.

Now this is really weird, I am in South Africa and I use a pre-paid Vodacom contract with Blackberry services. If I put in a MTN account SIM with Blackberry services, the phone gets network. If I put in a standard pre-paid SIM card from Vodacom - the phone freakin' works. If I put in my SIM card - I GET FREAKIN' NOTHING.

So you can understand the fact that I am a little frustrated here so I am begging someone out there to at least have an idea of what could POSSIBLY be happening. If the SIM is in the phone it gets no single. So I can't even ask it to manually search for network (not that an Android actaully has that option but anyway). The bars that reflect next to the SIM card is nothing, just a red 'X'. The SIM has also been swapped twice so it can't be the actual SIM card. We already know it is not the phone cause it is working with every other SIM/account out there. The only thing I can think of is that there is something on my account that is preventing me to access the phone. I can use the wireless network on it, hell I can even chat to my friends on Skype - but I can't send an SMS or even make a phone call. My contract will flip over to the new one at the end of the month, I am thinking of waiting for that but what if that is not the issue?

Has anybody ever heard of this, has anybody ever encountered something like this and does anybody please have a freakin' clue as to what is going on. Or do I just have the worst luck out there at the moment?

Not heard of that happening. Very weird that its only your sim that doesn't work.

1) is the phone locked to particular network? (maybe)
2) buried settings or something that needs activating?
3) Stick in a working sim, change your number to that sim? See if a working sim in the lg works in the blackberry so you can transfer some of the contacts.

Hope you can find a solution!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones