Unable to connect to PPTP VPN server - bug found in Android 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. cveks

cveks Member This Topic's Starter

I found bug in Android 2.1 which needs to be fixed in 2.2 version

Bug is in VPN PPTP android client which is not compiled with MMPE encryption enabled , and because of that it is impossible for HTC Desire and other phones using android 2.x to connect to pptp server because this is not enabled in android pptpd by default and because of that connection fails. There is solution for this requiring that you root your phone first than replace original pptpd and ip-up-vpn files with new compiled, but this is really not solution because we need that all this works for clients "out of box"

I tested VPN server from almost all OS-es and I can connect for any regular Windows PC (Vista, Windows 7 and XP) , from Mac-OS and even Iphone and Windows Mobile but not from my HTC Desire with Android 2.1

java hosting

Advertisement
    mdean likes this.
  2. mdean

mdean New Member

I have a Samsung Captivate and have the same issue. I guess this is a problem in every build of 2.1.

3. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

I used PPTP with my 2.1, worked great.

4. 806cat

806cat New Member

Hi, I am a newbie to the site and I am tinkering with Android. I have just bought a Motorola Defy and have the same problem. I see client-server as follows:

C->S PPTP Start-Control-Connection-Request
    S->C PPTP Start-Control-Connection-Reply
    C->S PPTP Outgoing-Call-Request
    S->C PPTP Outgoing-Call-Reply (Connected, Error=None)
    C->S TCP FIN,ACK

...dropped by client

I notice Microsoft client uses PPP LCP to set up connection instead - this works fine.

I guess I may have to root the phone and modify the software. That's the next challenge - to get my head around all the open source stuff and see how I can do that! :)

5. darmach

darmach Member

Are there any info about this problem?

I also can not use PPTP VPN to my home system - ofc i am able to connect from other machines to it..

6. jreynman

jreynman New Member