Unable to connect to public WiFiSupport

Last Updated:

1. KevinT

KevinT Member This Topic's Starter

I am unable to connect My Moto Droid to the public WiFi at the hospital I work at. I can connect fine at home to my netgear A/P.

I can connect fine at work with my laptop or iPod touch.

I am able to get an IP address and it appears to try to connect to the login/acknowledgement page but fails with a data connectivity problem: the connection to the server was unsuccessful. It appears to be failing at the redirect at about the same time the iPod touch asks to accept an invalid (likely self-signed?) certificate. I have verified otherwise that I can connect to a page with an invalid certificate.

My droid is rooted and busybox is installed if anyone has ideas on things to test.

This is a cisco wlc I am trying to connect to. From what I have read, this is how the connection happens

1.Connect get ip address
    2. When http command received, rediect to acknowledgement page.
    3. User accepts acknowledgement and then wlc allows device to connect to net

it is failing somewhere in step 2. It does redirect to http://1.1.1.1/login.HTML but it won't load the Acknowledgement page with the invalid cert.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hmmm, I'll try this at school - I have been using the secured WiFi in the Computer Science wing because, well, I helped set it up, and thus know the key. However, we also have public WiFi in both the same building as well as in the Library, and it seems to run the same sort of way - We're using Cisco Aironet 1250s, and whenever I try to access it, I am redirected to a locally (from the AP) delivered page that asks for my user login and password, and it, too, generates all sorts of certificate security issues in every computer that I have not already set an exception for the certificates.

I did a search for 'android browser certificates' and found this Google groups thread, which has some promise of being able to help you figure this out - see How to install EAP TLS certificates for WiFi - Android Security Discussions | Google Groups

Unfortunately, school is out until Tuesday, and I really really *really* don't feel like going there over the weekend (though I may end up doing just that anyway), so hit me up in this thread - I am subscribing to this thread.

3. KevinT

I tried what was suggested in that thread to no such luck. From my understanding, that certificate is only used to access the authentication https page, and from there, the WLC simply opens up my connection to the internet from there.After a short period of inactivty, I am also required to reconnect.

If only there was a way to bypass that cert and somehow send the form submission without it.

4. KevinT

I was able to get the certificate to install tonight when I got home. I will see if that helps tonight and report back

5. johnlgalt

Kewl, thanks. I haven't gotten a chance to try my idea yet, but I only have a single class tomorrow, so I am going to school armed with the printout of that thread.

6. KevinT

No such luck..same response

7. KevinT

8. johnlgalt

Heh - now we know.