Unable to download KiesSupport

Last Updated:

1. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, hope someone can give me some advice...

My wife recently got a SGS and we have just tried to download Kies so that she can put some music etc on it (she has a 16GB microsd card in it). However, when we try and install Kies it gets to the installation phase and then at the stage where it prompts you what to install, I selected "instal all" and then it thinks about it and comes back a minute later with a message "unable to connect to file server".

Is this a common problem people have had? We are running Windows 7 64 bit, so I dont know if there is a compatability issue?

If we cant get Kies to download (and I called their support line and of course no-one answers) is there another way to get data onto the phone and external card? Will I need to buy some kind of adaptor so that I can connect the microsd card and just treat it as any external hard drive?

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement
  2. Galaxyforme

Galaxyforme Member

Hi and welcome

You can connect the phone as a "mass storage device" using the cable supplied all you need to do is go to

Settings..... about phone.......USB Settings..... and change it to ask on connection
    When you connect your phone you will be asked what connection do you want to use select mass storage.... And then .....drag the notification bar down from the top of the screen select "USB Connected" then "mount" and the phones drives will be visible in "My computer"

Cheers

3. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's great, thank you for the quick answer :D

4. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

if you want to finish installing Kies, as odd as it sounds, mine wouldn't install until it had a connection to the internet (i was trying to install from the laptop i was connected to)

i finally connected the laptop using PDAnet so kies would have access to the web - during install it downloads, apparently a lot of files

it was curious to me, as the damn program is 316MB download to begin with, then it downloaded for about 20 minutes during installn and when it was done, going into control panel > remove programs, it showed to be a 212MB file

but it was installed and works