Unable to flash any rom on rooted Evo

Last Updated:

1. fre1

fre1 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I've successfully obtained root using the beautiful unrevoked3 application, and have proceeded to try and flash hboot down to 0.76.2000, but am unable. I'm using ROM Manager with ClockworkMod, and every attempt leads to the screen flashing code for a few moments, and going right into the ClockworkMod Recovery main menu. It's not just hboot that will not flash, I am also unable to flash anything else including the radio (which does the same exact flashing code / Clockwork main menu) and even CyanogenMod which gives an error that seemingly indicates hboot is not at the right version.

I'm not sure exactly where to look, anyone have any ideas, something I might be missing?

Advertisement
  2. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

3. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

He stated twice that he is using cm recovery.

Hboot .76 is installed in bootloader. Put the pc36img file on your sdcard not in any folder just straight to the sdcard. Then turn your phone off and turn it back on while holding the power and volume down button at the same time till you get to the white bootloader menu. Now your phone will run through a check which takes a while since its reading the pc36img file. After it loads it will ask if you want to install the update press the vol up button to say yes. Once its done installing go to recovery and flash your rom.

Make sure you get the correct pc36img file!!

Mr. Ed likes this.
  4. chrisw491

chrisw491 New Member

im also having this problem! i have HBOOT.97 i found a pc36img, but i think that took me back to the stock rom when i installed. i rooted my phone again and i still cant flash any new roms! i dnt know what im doing wrong. i followed all instructions.

5. frenchy714

frenchy714 Well-Known Member

What method are you using to flash ROMS? Are you using ROM Manager? Can you give us a little bit more information???

Start here and give this a read if you haven't already:

6. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

pc36img files are images that you flash from hboot. Not every one of them is what you're looking for. You must have gotten a RUU, which took you back to stock. If you rooted via unrevoked (which I assume you did, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to get hboot .76), then you should have still had s-off. What method did you use to root again. Just verify really quickly that you have s-off in hboot. Also, what recovery do you now have?

You can find the correct hboot here:

RA revovery and ENG hboot in one flash after UR Forever - xda-developers

All that being said, can I ask why you're trying to get the eng hboot? Last I heard, you don't need it for CM anymore. Of course, I haven't tried it since 6.1 became a full release, so someone else will have to comment on that.

EDIT: since you didn't actually state it, you do realize that flashing a pc32img is not the same as flashing new roms, right? The OP was trying to flash the eng hboot.

chrisw491 likes this.
  7. wrapkgb

wrapkgb Well-Known Member

There is really no need to flash hboot. 76. CM no longer checks for the hboot version. The only reason you would need the eng hboot is if you plan on doing some serious development and need the extended fastboot commands.

8. chrisw491

chrisw491 New Member

ok. yes i rooted through unrevoked. i was trying to use clockwork recovery. and i have s-off. i just tried switching RA recovery which i got through rom manager. i keep getting "E:cant find update script installation aborted" when i try to pick "flash zip from sdcard" i dnt know much about the pc32img, but i know that they are flashed through the white bootscreen. i tried flashing your img and it said "parsing img" but never asked me if i wanted to update. and Does RA recovery flash roms the same way custom recovery does? because im not familiar with RA recovery or abd.

9. wrapkgb

Yes amon and clockwork do the same thing ultimately. They are both recovery images that are essential in order to flash any sort of rom or kernel. With that said, what are you trying to accomplish? Im a little confused at this point

chrisw491 likes this.
  10. chrisw491

chrisw491 New Member

ok i found the answer to my question. sir, i thank u soooooo much for taking time out of your day to help a complete noob. lol. i was trying to flash bare bones app and sense removal script. since im using a mac, zipped files that i download are automatically unzipped and the original is trashed. so this means i have to manually rezip the files before putting it in my sd card. i guess this some how messed with the script and caused the error. when i got the original untouched zip file that was trashed and used it everything went smoothly! i havnt tried it in clockwork, but i guess theres no need to. thanx so much for your help sir!

11. wrapkgb

Heres a fix for you and your mac.
    Open safari and navigate to preferences.
    Go to the general tap.
    At the very bottom of the general tab uncheck automatically open safe file. ( im not at my mac so it should say something like that. Lol)

One thata unchecked re download the zip files and it will no longer unzip. And since it has been unzipping automatically that's prob why you are having issues. When you recomperess it messes up the signature on the zip.

hortstu likes this.
  12. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

I think that tidbit would look nice in the rooting for dummies thread.