Unable to format SD card!

Last Updated:

1. kellman

kellman New Member This Topic's Starter

Everytime I start my phone up it says the SD card is or has unsupported filesystem. When you click on it.. it asks to format... you click "format" and then the phone just freezes. If I receive a picture in a txt and I click on it, the phone freezes. When I plug my phone into the computer through the USB cable, mount, and try to format it through the computer it says windows is unable to complete the format. I've reset the phone to factory reset also, no luck. Please help. It all started after I did the update, I can't even access the SD card through the computer to manually update it.

Advertisement
  2. 21gigs

21gigs Well-Known Member

factory reset will not work on sd card and the format card from phone option is not so powerful,
    dont worry not a big problem,unfortunately you'll have to format your sd card again with fat32 file system with your computer.
    You need a card reader(micro sd reader),many laptops have it these days.
    Plug your sd card into the card reader and it will show up like any other external drive in your my computer,
    Now right click on it and click format.
    Choose full format not quick format and ensure that the filesystem is fat32.

Your card will now be formated ,once done add some files[mp3,docs,images etc] reinsert it into your phone and check if its working.

3. kellman

I was able to format the SD card while it was in the phone... I then proceeded to put the update.zip into the SD card... turned phone off and tried to install it and it failed.. When i turned the phone back on, it started freezing again..

UPDATE: When I start it up now, the phone just totally freezes when it tries to read the SD card on start up.

4. 21gigs

21gigs Well-Known Member

OK ,so card format part went well

Make sure that
    -the card is totally empty
    -card is micro sd hc with class 4
    -the name of update file is 'update.zip' not 'update.zip.zip'

5. kellman

The card is the one that came with the phone and I cant even get to the point of formatting it again... the phone just freezes every time on start up.

6. 21gigs

21gigs Well-Known Member

why dont you try fomating it externally as i said earlier.
    You dont need a phone for that.
    all you need is a card reader connected to a computer and your phones sd card in it.

There is no point in formating it from phone.

7. sruarcjhinta

sruarcjhinta New Member

I trid to format my 8GB sd card using in my HTC explorer. I use all type of formating the card but its not done computer says unable to format then I use sd card formater but not done how can I format it..

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

If it's not formatting in your phone or your computer. It's more than likely a duff SD card. Try replacing it. SDs do wear out.

9. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

10. sruarcjhinta

sruarcjhinta New Member

I already used sd card formater v4.0 but its also unable to formate my 8GB sd card

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Junk card, likely. Sorry to say. :eek:

If it's new, it could be infant mortality. If it's old, it's old. Did you import it from another device to your Explorer? ;)

I don't fool around with these things. There are too many good sd cards out there in stores (and onlline). I'd just gather the money and head to the store with a higher class and higher capacity card and let my device format it. :)

mikedt likes this.