• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to play this type of audio file

sinn24

Lurker
Mar 15, 2011
I know this is a typical issue with lots of posts about it but this is a little different:

I notice after ~24-48 hours of up-time that my custom ringtones just stop working, stock ringtones and vibration still works

Without failure, every time this happens I will get the "unable to play this type of audio file" error for any type of audio except the default ringtones

I can solve it by rebooting but when this issue occurs, the reboot time is about 3 hours. Other times are < 15 mins.

What I've tried:
- Pulling the SD card even though my audio files are in the internal memory.
- Deleting / reloading my entire audio library
- Deleting entire library except one control test audio file (tried .wav, .mp3, .ogg), same issue

Is there anything else I could try before doing a restore?
Telus Galaxy S Fascinate

I know this is a typical issue with lots of posts about it but this is a little different:

I notice after ~24-48 hours of up-time that my custom ringtones just stop working, stock ringtones and vibration still works

Without failure, every time this happens I will get the "unable to play this type of audio file" error for any type of audio except the default ringtones

I can solve it by rebooting but when this issue occurs, the reboot time is about 3 hours. Other times are < 15 mins.

What I've tried:
- Pulling the SD card even though my audio files are in the internal memory.
- Deleting / reloading my entire audio library
- Deleting entire library except one control test audio file (tried .wav, .mp3, .ogg), same issue

Is there anything else I could try before doing a restore?
Telus Galaxy S Fascinate

I have the same problem. If someone could help..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones