Unable to receive MMS texts while on a call?

Last Updated:

1. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a friend who claims that she cannot receive MMS texts while on a phone call. She has an Android phone (on Verizon though) and says she has to hang up to receive the MMS and then has to call the person back. Is this normal (is it a network thing?) or is this something that occurs because of the Android OS? I find it very bizarre that I don't have this problem with my non-Android phone.

I'm switching to Sprint and an Android phone soon and wanted to ask the question so I know what I'm in for.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Yes, this would be the case with any CDMA phones. GSM carriers (T-Mo and ATT) don't have this issue.

3. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Interesting....I wonder why that is? Not that I would do both at the same time very often, but it kinda sucks that you can't do it on Sprint. :/

4. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

It's just the way CDMA technology is.

MMS messages require data transfer, and CDMA wasn't designed for simultaneous data and voice. Since plain text (SMS) works across the regular voice channels, you can receive (or even send) those while on a call.

Although I'm not sure it will allow MMS to pass through, you can use WiFi to transfer other data, while having a voice call in progress. Granted, without some handsfree option, it's not very useful.

I haven't read up on the technology, but I suspect WiMAX and/or LTE will solve this limitation.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

However, she can receive a call while she's texting!!! Isn't that great??!! :D

6. silencer271

silencer271 Well-Known Member

well since texting doesnt rely on data.. lol