• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to send e-mail

anuleif

Nov 17, 2009
Illinois
The native app seemed a little buggy with my att.net accounts so I installed K9 after reading through the forums. I was unable to send email through the native app, and it seems I can't send email with K9 either. This is with att.net as well as another server which synced well (folders and all) on the native app.

Any ideas?

I just see here that I received a "530 authentication required" message in K9 for the att account and "421 Maybe later is better. Pardon moi (#4.3.1)" in the other.

{{EDIT}} Problem solved!

The native app seemed a little buggy with my att.net accounts so I installed K9 after reading through the forums. I was unable to send email through the native app, and it seems I can't send email with K9 either. This is with att.net as well as another server which synced well (folders and all) on the native app.

Any ideas?

{{EDIT}}

I just see here that I received a "530 authentication required" message in K9.

If you switched to Verizon, do you still have an att.net account? I've never had att.net so I don't know if they let you keep the email account when you switch to another provider or not.

Upvote 0
AT&T Yahoo (U-verse) is my internet, landline, and cable service.

It may have something to do with the settings. I had to help a co-worker set up his work email account today. Verizon defaults the outgoing mail server port to something other than what we need. I wish I could be more help but my best guess is that it is the port setting and you need to find out what the correct port is. (I had to use 25)

Upvote 0
It may have something to do with the settings. I had to help a co-worker set up his work email account today. Verizon defaults the outgoing mail server port to something other than what we need. I wish I could be more help but my best guess is that it is the port setting and you need to find out what the correct port is. (I had to use 25)

Yeah, I had to play around with it in order to get it setup. All the mail comes in okay (aside from self-created folders on att). I really don't want to call tech support. LOL It's sure to be a 2 hour long adventure.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I had to play around with it in order to get it setup. All the mail comes in okay (aside from self-created folders on att). I really don't want to call tech support. LOL It's sure to be a 2 hour long adventure.

Try port 25 for outgoing and see what happens. I can't remember where I got the number from but it was something I read when searching to figure out the set-up.

It seems like there was something else really simple like unchecking some security thing.

Upvote 0
Try port 25 for outgoing and see what happens. I can't remember where I got the number from but it was something I read when searching to figure out the set-up.

It seems like there was something else really simple like unchecking some security thing.

They were already set on 25. Which seems to have something to do with the security setting. I changed it to SSL, which is what it should have been for att, according to what I've read on their site, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones