Unable To Send Text error/warning

Last Updated:

1. carrtim1

carrtim1 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone

I wonder if you can help. I've been using my HTC Desire without a problem but for the last couple of weeks I have been getting unable to send notifications when sending texts. This can be almost instantly after hitting the send button. I'm on three.

My friend has the same handset and he is on oange and is getting the same thing so is this a handset thing or are we both doing something wrong.

If you leave the desire to do it's stuff it will send it. On other occasions it goes no problem.

Anyone else had this problem?

Advertisement
  2. Doink

Doink Active Member

Im on orange and mine does it too, if i have little or no signal it instantly comes back with an unable to send message although it will send automatically when signal strength allows. I drive a lot and it is annoying when your in and out of coverage but i guess its and android trait, always managing itself in the background.

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Remember 3 users use Orange when in a 2G location, so sounds like an Orange issue.

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Acutally I had this today for the first time on T-Mobile... that said I've only sent a couple of messages in total since I've had the phone, they're so like 2009 ;)

The message did send though, as I got a reply as I was about to resend it.

5. Ashtiany

Ashtiany Member

I have the same problem too from time to time.. although i'm on O2. But stange it enough, it happens mostly when mobile data is switched on. If i switch it off and resend, it does it straight away..

6. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member

This problem is due to a design/software problem with the desire and nexus one, that gives very poor/patchy 3g reception and data problems. if you dont have data switched on, the phone may be on gsm which is fine, but when you are on 3g (which may be more likely if data is turned on) the phone has horrible connection problems. it seems anyone who is outside a really strong 3g reception area has constant problems with the phone. there are many rumours around, like its a permanent design flaw (you lose reception when you put your hand around the back of the phone - videos on youtube) although some say it is fixed by a rooted radio kernel, that could be fixed by android 2.2 froyo. i am sending my phone back to orange for constant data/connection problems, but i dont think the handset is faulty but the problem above. do you also get data connection problems and the phone constantly switching between 2g and 3g all the time? check the other threads around. good luck

7. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

8. oombongo

oombongo Member

Same problem here. As soon as I hit "send" for SMS, I get delivery failure notification. Retrying it does work

And my phone is not locked to any carrier/ service provider.

9. carrtim1

I'm glad it's not just me or the network then. I found by doing this it cuts down the failures. When you do any text, rather than press the home button press the back button until you get to the home screen. I've notice the failure happens more if you have gone into the text messaeg section and hit the home button and done this a few time.

I've noticed it will do it everytime if you send a text to multiple numbers.

10. carrtim1

I had another episode last night of texts not sending. So I had a look around the phone straight after and noticed that my facebok contacts and data had sync'd at the same time. I just wondering if this is the cause of it, it can't send texts when something in Sync'ing.

11. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

Can you try this for me. My phone also gets the unable to send notification. I had problems with it being Facebook linked and the +44 whole business. I since unlinked everyone, but still get the errors.

Try this...

If you get an unable to send message. Edit the text you were trying to send, cut all the text. Open new message, select the person you were going to send it to, paste in the text and send.

I have found that if i get an unable to send, i do the above and it send immediately, no problems.

This also works if it hasn't managed to send the text after about 3 attempts (notifications). Just wandering if this works for anyone else...

12. carrtim1

Cracked it. This is how you get it to stop the "unable to send message" error.

Goto Settings > Wireless & Networks and untick Mobile network.

Texts go not problem. Only pain is you have to tick this box if you want to go on the net via your handset. Not ideal but at least we know whats causing it.

13. DesireMe

It just seems to be to one person for me, or it's the fact that i text this person the most.

Have you tried doing what i said above? If i get the unable, i copy the text, create a NEW text message, paste the text and it will send without failure.

Unticking the mobile network before sending a reply to a text, if it fails, is more of a ball-ache than doing the above. Either way, it's not good. My only gripe now. :mad:

14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If on Tmobile, have you still got 1 or 2 APNs?

Suddenly I now have 2, and my MMS issues have gone.

15. DesireMe

APN's ??

16. knoxy5000

knoxy5000 Member

I'm On orange and i find this happen's at work quite alot, but at my work there are two masts that compete with other, so my phone is constantly switching between 3g and edge. No matter what phone i have it always happens. I only really noticed the failing messages a couple of weeks back. But since that fortnight ago mine have been sending fine.

Another thing i find that is tempremental is the weather, i think thats down to network aswell

17. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

under settings>wireless netowrks>mobile network

18. DesireMe

I have 2: T-Mobile Internet (Highlighted), T-Mobile PictureMessage

19. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

I get this too. I am on orange and it is very annoying. Would you mind expanding on the facebook and +44 business please?

Thanks

20. DesireMe

That peoples numbers on facebook are 44.... not +44.... so the phone cannot call/text them.