1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to send text (SMS) messagesSupport

Last Updated:

1. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Phone: rooted GT-i9505 running CM11 on 3 UK network

For the last few days I have been unable to send any SMS messages. When I try to using Handcent (my default SMS app), there is just a rotating progress wheel that sits there rotating (for several days in some cases). There is no error message.

At first I thought it was because the recipient's phone was off but it's now clear that is not the case. I wondered whether it was something to do with Handcent so I tried using the stock SMS app. When I tried to send a text using that, it says "SENDING..." but nothing else happens. There is a message saying "Sending disabled" at the bottom of the screen. Setting the stock SMS app as the default and trying again made no difference except the "Sending disabled" message disappeared.

I only installed CM11 a few days before this started happening but I'm fairly sure I have sent texts successfully since then. I cannot remember exactly when I installed it so if anyone knows how to check the installation date that might help.

I am not a big texter (which is why it took several days to notice the problem) but I have never had problems before. Consequently, I have no idea where to start diagnosing this problem.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Being the resourceful chap I am, I have figured this out now. I probably ought to have looked more carefully than I did before posting here but since I have solved it, I shall post what I did in case anyone else has the same problem.

This appears to be caused by having the incorrect (or missing) SMSC number. To fix, follow the following steps:

1. Install GO SMS Pro
    2. Open it, go to Menu -> Settings -> MESSAGING: Send&Receive -> ADVANCED: SMS/MMS Advanced settings -> MESSAGE CENTER: Enable customised SMSC -> ON
    3. MESSAGE CENTER: Customised SMSC number
    4. Enter +447782000800, OK
    This did the trick for me. The pending messages weren't sent but new messages are now sending fine.

If anyone knows a more elegant way of setting the SMSC (i.e. one that doesn't involve installing an app I don't otherwise want) I'd be interested to know. I did used to use GO SMS Pro but I seem to recall that I got fed up of adverts for other GO products so I uninstalled it. Still, props to GO SMS for having the option to change the SMSC number, which Handcent doesn't appear to have.

3. nugroho2

nugroho2 Member

Had the same problem using Go SMS with two SIM cards. Both failed to send to certain numbers; so it's not an issue with providers. Solved this way: Go SMS settings, More tools, SMS blocker, Settings, disable all black list and white lists. The app runs normally again. The developers should take note of this.