Unable to "tether" since 2.2 updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. Deckland

Deckland New Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 21, 2010

Have my Desire running on Telstra network here in Australia, still locked and branded. Not interested in unlocking etc. at this stage.

Prior to 2.2 update, I was able to tether the phone via USB to allow my laptop net access, but since the update, this won't work. However, the Wi-fi Hotspot functions nicely, so still able to connect.

I still want to be able to connect via USB, simply because it's supposed to, and I'm not broadcasting an open w-fi, even if it is password protected. Perhaps a little paranoia, but if I'm paying for my data, I wand to be sure I'm the only one using it. USB ticks that box.

Any thoughts, or has anyone had this issue themselves? Seems to be nothing about it on HTC site.

Edit: Further issues - now when connected to ANY charge source, the phone thinks it's connected to USB as a drive, so blocks off the memory card... I used to have it on charge and watch video, listen to podcasts etc. but now, nothing, if it's stored on the SD card.... Frustrating.

Edit again.... Found the reason!!! I had installed Winamp player, one of the settings within that was to automatically mount the SD card when connected.... This happened whenever I plugged it in, no matter what options I picked when the phone asked what kind of connection I was looking for this time. Have now simply unchecked the box, and all my previous functions are now back. Winner.