• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unable to type uppercase characters in web forms

cjablonski

Oct 7, 2011
Hey everyone, I've noticed this pretty much from day one with this phone but it's only now starting to bug me more and more. On the web (tried on both Chrome and the standard), when entering text into any form, be it a search field or password field, only lowercase characters seem to work with the physical keyboard. The shift key essentially does nothing. Symbols are broken too.

Makes it very difficult to enter passwords. The workarounds are to use the onscreen keyboard or to copy and paste text from elsewhere. It's still a pain.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have a solution?

Are you using the standard keyboard, or something along the lines of Swiftkey? I love swiftkey as a virtual keyboard but it ruins the physical keyboard experience by not auto unchecking alt or shift keys which leads to lots of frustration.

Another thing, are you rooted or stock? Do you have the KIES update installed? Also, have you tried double tapping the shift key? Which key do you use the right one or the left one?

If all else fails, factory reset and see if it still does it, if so it may be a hardware problem.

Reactions: spoxy
Upvote 0
This is the physical keyboard, I am rooted, the KIES update has been installed.

It ONLY happens in web forms. This includes password/username boxes, search boxes, message inputs like this one. If I go up to the address bar, for example, the physical keyboard works fine.

Yes, it is a bizarre problem. I will try factory reset.

EDIT: Wow, factory reset seems to be working!

But only in the stock browser. This is STILL broken in Chrome. Crazy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones