Unable to uninstall Google Play AppsSupport

Last Updated:

1. sg3Newbie

sg3Newbie New Member

I'm a new Samsung Galaxy S3 user. I've successfully installed Android version 4.1.1. I'm finding I cannot install a couple gaming apps (Flow Free, Jewels 1.999a). I try to uninstall the apps via the Settings->Application Manager and I get the following error message:
    "Unable to uninstall: Package is an active device administrator"

There is a button underneath to "Manage device administrators" but when I select it, I get the message "No device administrators available" under the heading "Device administration settings".
    In Settings->Security there is an option for device administrators which yields the same text when chosen "No device administrators available".

Can anyone help me understand what is happening, why and how to fix it? I haven't been able to find much that explains relevant aspects of device administration from the phone owner perspective, just more from the design perspective.

Not sure of its relevancy but I have a Google user id but am not actively using Google mail. I am logged in and am able to use Google Play etc. I use another email address for which I sync data to outlook on my PC as I prefer to keep my mail private.

Advertisement
  2. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

are you installing them from the Play Store?
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Games should not be device administrators. I would perhaps suggest the successful upgrade to 4.1 was not successful ;)

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum that has all the prominent threads in it. One of those threads is about factory resetting after an update.
  4. sg3Newbie

sg3Newbie New Member

Yes, these apps were installed via Google Play.
  5. sg3Newbie

sg3Newbie New Member

I'm not sure exactly how to tell if the install to 4.1.1 wasn't successful because there wasn't any obvious error message and several visible features documented to be part of 4.1.1 changed. i.e. home page folders, the placement of the settings button itself, time and date stamp at top of the notification screen, the mobile data quick access from notification screen disappeared, and the driving mode one appeared to name some easy ones.

I'm still not sure I understand how device administration works on these phones and what it would have to do with these apps.

Do I REALLY have to reset the phone already? I will read the STICKY and see what it advises.
  6. SUroot

Very few apps are actually device administrators. Things like tracking software (track and wipe remotely) or apps like Tasker (that do things like reboot your phone) are device administrators. Things that need a higher level of permissions basically.

No way games need that and if they're not showing up there (and all apps state dev admin) then theres definitely a bug there that would probably be resolved by a reset.
  7. sg3Newbie

sg3Newbie New Member

Well, I bit the bullet and reset the phone and now I can uninstall apps!! I would have got to that step at some point but thanks to SUroot for getting me there sooner! Like I said no errors or additional messages during installation of new OS revision to suggest a reset might be needed.

In my search to learn more I have read info on how a s/w developer should write their program to be a device administrator, which didn't truly apply here for me, and will have to be patient as I learn more about how this translates into behaviors on the actual phone set.
  8. SUroot

No worries.

You wouldn't expect error messages for what I call an unsuccessful upgrade. The upgrade itself goes fine. Often its the fact that there are incompatibilities with the upgrade and whats already on the phone that results in the need for a factory reset.

IMHO, Its bets practice to perform a reset after an upgrade, even if there are no issues. I would do so.
  9. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Tbh op it seems like everyones having to reset thier phone sooner or later since JB for some reason or other so dont feel too hard done by. It can be a painful process when youre not rooted but gives your phone a fresh start :)