Unable to unroot?

Last Updated:

1. Adamania

Adamania Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I'm pretty new when it comes to rooting and whatnot, but I gave it a shot. It worked well. I currently have Cyanogen 5.0.5 on my phone and I love it! I heard that the OTA 2.1 is finally out, and I wanted to unroot and try it to compare against my ROM. I have read of ways to do this, but I think my situation is a little more unique.

I attempted to revert back to stock via ROM Manager. I must have done the wrong thing, so I ended up just reinstalling the update.zip file from my SD Card. I resigned into Google and it was just like the first time I rooted. I re-downloaded ROM Manager and when I try to "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery", I get the error message: "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands." The "reboot into recovery" also does not work. I can still hold "X" and power on, but I just get the clockwork recovery menu, and end up nowhere but back to Cyanogen. I love Cyan and will probably stick with it, but nothing as far as root apps work anymore. DM also doesn't work for me anymore. When I enter recovery mode, it gives me the option to boot from update.zip, or factory reset. Would factory reset mess everything up? Any help/ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Adamania

Edit: My Superuser Permissions is also coming up blank. Is there a way to even just reflash my ROM? I apologize for being so ignorant, but I'm learning!

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

You'll probably want to wipe everything (factory reset and cache wipe) from recovery then install the root update.zip again and reflash the ROM after. That seems like the most logical sequence to fix the problem.

Or if you do want to go back to bone stock 2.0.1 and take the OTA update, you can use the SBF/RSD Lite method in the sticky post titled "Now you can live without fear of bricking".

4. Adamania

That should work, then? I was nervous enough with rooting, much less a full wipe..

5. Adamania

Alright, so I rebooted in recovery mode. I did the factory wipe and then "Installed update.zip" from my SD. Nothing different. ROM manager still gives me the same error. Am I just doing this incorrectly?

6. vincentp

Well, it might work, but the good news is you always have that RSD Lite method in the post here to help you in case something goes seriously wrong. That is pretty much guaranteed to get you back to a working, stock phone with 2.0.1.

7. vincentp

Hmm. Is the update.zip you're installing the root file, or the ROM? I probably should have asked that sooner.

8. Adamania

Um, I guess I'm not too sure. Can you log into the forum chat? Might be easier to communicate.

9. vincentp

Just tried, but I'm at work and it won't let me connect to the IRC server. How big is that update.zip file that's on your card? If it's a small file (in KB) then it's the root update. If it's a large (several MB) file, it's a ROM. You should be able to check in Astro or another file manager.

10. Adamania

Ugh, I can't even seem to find it..fml.

11. vincentp

You could try downloading the root file again. I don't have the link available but it should be in one of the how-to threads on alldroid or droidforums. Make that an update.zip and isntall it, see if it fixes the superuser problem.

12. Adamania

I have only downloaded straigh from the phone because I haven't been able to figure out how to put it onto my phone from pc. Where would I save this to?

13. Adamania

Okay, I am downloading a new update.zip file which is 10mb. I am assuming this is the correct one?

14. vincentp

Where did you get it?

15. Adamania

16. Adamania

Okay, I have got to be doing this wrong. When I boot into recovery mode, is it supposed to be "ClockworkMod Recovery v1.7.8.9?

17. Adamania

I wiped and installed the update.zip. It would install, but not boot. I took out the battery and it gave me the menu again. I said reboot phone. It wiped, I signed into google.. no change.

18. Adamania

I ended up using the "How to unbrick your phone" tutorial. The roms/root works great. I am just a nub. Mods may lock this thread :D