• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unbrand HTC Desire

Guy over on vodafone forums saying you cant debrand at the moment if you have just updated your vodafone desire, they changed something.

*nod*
OTAed my Desire yesterday :mad: since HTC announced Froyo and at the same time Vodafone popped in with the irksome 1.24.161.3 which I thought would be Froyo ;]
Now I sit here too with Error 131 "Customer ID" while trying to debrand and rid those useless VF applications.

h4jo

Upvote 0
In Europe they pushed OTA update few months ago, saying that it improves this and that and changes the bootloader. back then I didn't even think about rooting or debranding as there was no need for it. So i installed it. Some stuff improved after that update, so I was happy. But now everyone of my friends are getting Froyo because most of them have unlocked phones and t-mobile is stitching their own logo on bootscreen for one extra month. I will go mad waiting for them. That's one month at least, could be two or more :D

Upvote 0
I done my mates O2 branded desire today which worked perfectly.

I used this method, and it was very very easy to do. 14/Jun r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support - Android @ MoDaCo

Took 5 mins to do.

ok, this one worked, as far as I can tell. Software info section shows that I have 1.21.405.2
all the t-mobile logos gone. So that means I am debranded?
but, as I check if there is any update, it says that my phone is up to date :( how can I check the bootloader version?

Upvote 0
Anyone looking to update using the update.zip method must ensure that they are running 1.21.405.2 the part of the build number you need to look at to ensure the phone is unbranded (in regards to the firmware build) is the number 405. Any firmware without that number is branded and networked locked to receiving the update as and when the network pushes it out.

To check bootloader version press the Power On and Volume Down keys together and at the top left of the screen that appears with the skateboarding android figures you will see HBOOT followed by the version number.

Reactions: Member211302
Upvote 0
Getting bootloader error again. But now I managed to see what version my bootloader is, and it is 0.80. So I guess 0.80 is better than 0.83. seen somewhere on internet that there is some guides mentioning 0.80. need some sleep now.
still dont know why new software version does not get froyo update :/

Upvote 0
Anyone looking to update using the update.zip method must ensure that they are running 1.21.405.2 the part of the build number you need to look at to ensure the phone is unbranded (in regards to the firmware build) is the number 405. Any firmware without that number is branded and networked locked to receiving the update as and when the network pushes it out.

To check bootloader version press the Power On and Volume Down keys together and at the top left of the screen that appears with the skateboarding android figures you will see HBOOT followed by the version number.

so tomorrow I will be looking for that update.zip guide :D Thanks ;) sleep time

Upvote 0
For those with the 1.21.405.2 firmware number follow the steps here:
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/139533-froyo-hints-tips-tricks.html#post1310838

If you have already created a goldcard start from Step 4.

No need for that. I postponed my sleep session and done according to this: Manually install the official Froyo build on HTC Desire | Geekword

worked like a charm :) so thanks you and everybody else for info which eventually led to froyo update :D
Up yours T-Mobile ;)

So to sum it up, debrand your desire by using 325i link in post #36 to the other thread. After that make sure you done it successfully by checking your firmware number which should be 1.21.405.2 and boot loader 0.80 and then following the info given by stublake13 somehow stumble upon this in the middle of the night and you will have froyo in about 40mins :)

now where is that pillow

Upvote 0
Hey everyone. I've got a question! On the HTC site, it says that if phone is playing up and you can not get the problem sorted by just restarting it, it is possible to do a Factory Reset also known as Hard Reset. Its wipes out everything on the phone and brings it back to the factory settings. Is this the same as debranding? And what is a Goldcard? I'm new to this, so a little confused.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone. I've got a question! On the HTC site, it says that if phone is playing up and you can not get the problem sorted by just restarting it, it is possible to do a Factory Reset also known as Hard Reset. Its wipes out everything on the phone and brings it back to the factory settings. Is this the same as debranding? And what is a Goldcard? I'm new to this, so a little confused.

no that is not de-branding. de-branding is where you load a new rom / firmware onto the phone to replace the current branded one you have on the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones