• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbrick Phone from LG Screen

Hello I wonder if you can help me I seem to have bricked my LG Optimus Chat C550 Android phone by using a rom manager and it didnt like it. Now all I get when I turn on my phone is an LG boot screen and its stuck and the lights on the qwerty pull out keyboard flash on and off, the computer dont recognise the phone when plugged in by USB cable. Have tried your suggestion but my C550 has no camera button and the back key is not a key as such its a 'touch' sensitive key - the only proper button keys are the send and end buttons and the volume up and down button and the pull out qwerty keyboard - am I stuffed do you reckon? please help if you can I really liked this phone before I bricked it :(. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Andy from Ireland.

pull the battery and start pressing button combinations and holding them and popping the batt back in... gotta find how to throw it into emergency programming mode. I'd guess the key combo won't be using the keyboard but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
pull the battery and start pressing button combinations and holding them and popping the batt back in... gotta find how to throw it into emergency programming mode. I'd guess the key combo won't be using the keyboard but I could be wrong.

Thanks, have tried that before the all button combination but I will certainly try it again, maybe there is one combination I havent tried.

Upvote 0
Have you tried this?:

LG Optimus Chat has a special mode called safe mode. It is designed for your phone to recover from any malfunctions. Here is what you need to do to get into safe mode.
Turn off your phone;
Reboot it;
Press and hold the Send key while the Android Logo is displayed;
The main screen should have "safe mode" shown in the lower left-hand corner.

Upvote 0
After all the fun and excitements are gone, now you are not satisfied with all the changes you made to you LG Optimus Chat. The good thing is that the LG Optimus Chat has a function to let you to return your phone to a know sate, the factory state.

Before you reset your phone, please note this. All user applications and user data will be lost after the reset. Please be sure to back up all your data. So here is the procedure,
Backup your data;
Remove the back cover;
Remove and reinsert the battery;
Press and hold all these keys for over 10 seconds: Power/Lock key, Send key, and Down Volume key.
When the power turns on, release these keys.

Reactions: DaniellieeE
Upvote 0
Have you tried this?:

LG Optimus Chat has a special mode called safe mode. It is designed for your phone to recover from any malfunctions. Here is what you need to do to get into safe mode.
Turn off your phone;
Reboot it;
Press and hold the Send key while the Android Logo is displayed;
The main screen should have "safe mode" shown in the lower left-hand corner.

Oh if only I could get to the Android Logo I would be a happy man but it wont even shift off the LG Logo at the moment :(

Upvote 0
Thanks but I just tried pressing send/end and volume key and it didnt work, as soon as I press all three the LG screen comes up immediately and then just sits there the same and keyboard lights flash on and off.

Well then that would mean all your partitions are screwed.

The only way to fix it would be to acquire the stock image and flash it to the phone with lgnpst.

Where in the world is this phone supposed to live? I know it certainly isn't an American phone... I would suggest looking for phone modification sites frequented by the people that live wherever that thing is sold.

Sorry I can't be more of a help.

Let this be a lesson to everyone:
Don't EVER use Rom Manager for something that doesn't show up in it's list...

Upvote 0
Hello I wonder if you can help me I seem to have bricked my LG Optimus Chat C550 Android phone by using a rom manager and it didnt like it. Now all I get when I turn on my phone is an LG boot screen and its stuck and the lights on the qwerty pull out keyboard flash on and off, the computer dont recognise the phone when plugged in by USB cable. Have tried your suggestion but my C550 has no camera button and the back key is not a key as such its a 'touch' sensitive key - the only proper button keys are the send and end buttons and the volume up and down button and the pull out qwerty keyboard - am I stuffed do you reckon? please help if you can I really liked this phone before I bricked it :(. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Andy from Ireland.

Hooray! after Days of my phone stuck on LG screen and many different pressing of different buttons as the phone started I finally found the right button combination on my phone to get it into emergency mode. I had to press end call button and press 'q' on the qwerty keypad and then the phone went yellow screen with 'emergency mode' written at the top - then I just took the battery out and re-inserted it and pressed the power on/end call button and hoorah the phone booted up normally and whats more all my apps were there too it hadnt deleted anything. Am very happy and feel like I must be on a winning streak so gonna buy a lottery ticket today! :) either that or god was looking down on me and felt sorry. Brill though. Thanks for people answering me even if in the end no-one suggested pressing Q and the power button.

Upvote 0
Can some1 please tell me what i can do about this.... when i try to unbrick my phone this shows up....

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0
Hooray! after Days of my phone stuck on LG screen and many different pressing of different buttons as the phone started I finally found the right button combination on my phone to get it into emergency mode. I had to press end call button and press 'q' on the qwerty keypad and then the phone went yellow screen with 'emergency mode' written at the top - then I just took the battery out and re-inserted it and pressed the power on/end call button and hoorah the phone booted up normally and whats more all my apps were there too it hadnt deleted anything. Am very happy and feel like I must be on a winning streak so gonna buy a lottery ticket today! :) either that or god was looking down on me and felt sorry. Brill though. Thanks for people answering me even if in the end no-one suggested pressing Q and the power button.

Awesome man. Q and power? yeah I would have never guessed, lol. Rocks that you got it unbricked....

Reactions: andyr12345
Upvote 0
I was wondering if this method will work for an Optimus stuck on the "Android" boot screen.

I currently have two phones - both Optimus - stuck on the android screen. One of them is a 2.2.2 and the other is a rooted 2.2.1.

I am currently allowing the battery to drain.

Thanks.
This method will fix any phone that will light up.

Don't wait for the battery to drain, unplug power, pull battery, then hold down all the buttons and pop the batt back in or plug power in.

Upvote 0
This method will fix any phone that will light up.

Don't wait for the battery to drain, unplug power, pull battery, then hold down all the buttons and pop the batt back in or plug power in.

I read this just as both my phones died. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'll try it out and report back in a bit.

EDIT: Getting an error to load the Skin.dll message.

EDIT 2: Ignore first edit. I fixed that.

EDIT 3: Thanks a lot. It successfully un-bricked my phone. Now I have no signal or data connection at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT 4: If anyone is wondering: I got past the skin.dll error by passing LGNPST.exe to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST, and I am getting past the connection problems by following this guide: [GUIDE] How To Restore Service If You've Lost Your MEID

Reactions: olo Malice olo
Upvote 0
I read this just as both my phones died. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'll try it out and report back in a bit.

EDIT: Getting an error to load the Skin.dll message.

EDIT 2: Ignore first edit. I fixed that.

EDIT 3: Thanks a lot. It successfully un-bricked my phone. Now I have no signal or data connection at all. Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT 4: If anyone is wondering: I got past the skin.dll error by passing LGNPST.exe to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST, and I am getting past the connection problems by following this guide: [GUIDE] How To Restore Service If You've Lost Your MEID
what rom did you load? the stock one? looking at lgnpst your meid and phone number 00'd out?

Upvote 0
So many users have been using Rom Manager and are getting stuck at the Lg Logo. Well now there`s a way to unbrick your phone and avoid the need of a replacement.

To get your phone to be recognized by the pc, you need to let the battery die. In other words let the phone shutdown by itself while it is at the LG Logo. When the phone is off, press and hold this combination of keys: Vol Down + Back key + Camera + Power button. With the keys hold down plug your charger. (AC connected to the wall) Your phone should boot to S/W Upgrade mode. Then connect it to the pc.

Now make sure that LGNPST and drivers are installed on your pc correctly. (Go here if you need to install LGNPST and drivers. Follow the guide until where you need to open LGNPST.

Then Open up LGNPST and make sure that the program recognizes the phone. It should be under the EMERGENCY tab. (Dont worry if is says UNKNOWN under Model).

Now Select the dll file. The file name is MS690.dll where it says dll.
Then Download this file and select it as the .bin file. The file name should end as .bin (So need to unzip to somewhere on your pc)

Then click start. Let the process get to 100%

Now your phone will try to start up but the battery will blink or charge. If it`s blinking all you have to do is: plug it to the wall let it charge a little bit, then turn it on. If it charges then let it charge a little and then turn it on.

Your phone will be back to stock mode. And also unbricked.

Hope this helps.
Hi man after hold all needs buttons + AC charger turn on, S/W Upgrade mode, how long waiting in this mode, battery need instal back or not? Then connect it to the pc.

Upvote 0
So heres the thing I followed this guide carefully and every thing worked perfectly. with the exception of been zerod out, with I found out that fix on a different guide. but then i couldn't make/recieve calls etc.
So I decided to reflash the phone again with this same method.This is the problem now, when i was refashing the phone an error message popped up half way in the process say something about 'SYSTEM bad block' and mow my phone only load to the metropcs logo even says 'hellohellohello' and it just freezes there. my computer even has trouble connecting the phone now. Its an Optimus M btw. any help please

Upvote 0
im running windows vista it wont let me install the lgnpst components i keep gettin ah error message saying there is a problem with this windows installer package.a program is required for this install to complete could not be run.action:unregistercom_3.0/location:c:.what does this mean if anybody can help pm me i can install all the other stuff besides the components

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones