• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbrick the LG Ally (Updated 3-2-2011)

death2all110

Android Expert
Jun 25, 2010
Illinois, US
PLEASE....PLEASE....PLEASE....READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANYTHING. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR MISHAPS! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

WHEN IT SAYS YOU NEED SOMETHING, YOU NEED IT. IT IS NOT OPTIONAL!

YOU NEED THE LG MOBILE UPDATER AND THE DRIVERS FOR THIS PHONE. DO NOT TRY TO USE THE PDANET DRIVERS OR EVEN HAVE PDA NET OPEN.

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT BOOT INTO ANDROID OS. WHETHER YOU ONLY GET TO THE FASTBOOT SCREEN, OR CANT ACCESS CUSTOM RECOVERY, OR THOSE WHO CANT ACCESS RECOVERY AND BOOTLOOP.

ANY OF THOSE PROBLEMS PERTAIN TO YOU? NO? BUT WANT TO GET BACK TO STOCK, BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO BACK UP YOUR ROM? PLEASE SEE MY THREAD HERE: http://androidforums.com/death2all110/166588-how-flash-stock-lg-rom.html

Still with me? Great! Now, read these directions carefully before even starting to do this. Yeah, I know, bummer right? You actually HAVE TO READ...

Anyway this thread will be a bit longer than the flash stock ROM thread....Hated the long directions, didn't like reading? Eh. Shame. Too bad.

Step 1: Unplug the phone if you have it plugged in, Pull the battery, reinsert it.

Step 2: Slide out the keyboard and press and hold the number 5. Then as you are holding down the number 5 plug in your USB cable.

Step 3: If you haven't done so already download VS740.zip
and save to the root of your C:\ drive.

Step 4: Open the zip file, and drag the folder to the root of your C:\ drive

Step 5: Open this folder that you have just downloaded.

Step 6: Rename the cab file to VS740ZV6_01.cab (If you do not see the .cab extension DO NOT add it. Also You may not have to rename it if you downloaded it as the same name.)

Step 7: Extract the zip file's contents to this folder and connect USB cable to phone.

Step 8: Run KP500-Utils-En.exe in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 and as an Administrator.
(Only if you are not running windows xp)

Step 9: Choose option J.

Step 10: Type VS740 when it prompts for phone model number. Press Enter.

Step 11: Type VS740ZV6_01.cab when asked for the cab file. Press Enter.
(You do not have to tell it what directory the cab file is in)

Step 12: Type VS740ZV6_01 when prompted for the version. Press Enter.

Step 13: It should now tell you it is loading lg manual updater screen will appear with a log window below
and start reading information from your phone and then it will flash it.
If the firewall says its trying to access the web allow it.

It will flash the software to your phone and takes around 20 minutes to complete.
Once complete it will boot up and show the word A N D R O I D. on the screen.

It looked like it hung at that screen but it didn't it just took a while. Around 10 minutes.

Once this is complete you may unplug your phone from USB. BUT MAKE SURE IT SAYS IT IS FINISHED COMPLETELY NOT JUST AT 100%

After you finish flashing, and have verified it boots.... you will notice alot of things are broken. Now to fix that...

Step 14: Power off and press and hold Vol Down+Home+End and when it loads back up, and you have signed into google, open the dialer and dial *22899 to verify your phone is back on the Verizon Network.

Step 15: Now open the dialer and dial *#*#CHECKIN#*#* This forces the phone into checking for any available OTA Updates.

Congratulations! If successful you now have just recovered the phone from a bricked state.

not helpful in the least. I've downloaded the 1 file it says I need. moved the extracted folder to the 1 place it says to move it. didn't rename the 1 file it says to rename because its already named VS7406_01. Its a cab file so no need for the extension. ran the 1 program it says to run in XP compatibility mode as admin. selected j. typed the model #, cab file name, and typed the version number. all have been checked and rechecked for spelling. I'm not an idiot and not appreciate being treated as such. I have since gotten passed the missing .gif but now its saying that it cannot complete due to a fatal error. Any help from someone not being a douche would be appreciated.

already downloaded the lg updater and usb drivers thank you

edit: tried one last time. says "Update no longer possible due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Software Update

Upvote 0
Hmm. can you think of any software that could conflict with this? And i would post my alternate method but its been known to wipe the MEID. Sorry for the above post. Have you tried running the mobile updater so it installs? If so check your system tray. It should have a red lg logo. that means its running already and it will try to take over. before starting this again try finding b2capp.exe in Task Manager

Upvote 0
first off let me appologize for lashing out. It was 1am and I was getting frustrated. secondly I eventually unbricked at 230 but not using this tool. I used the stock nandroid thats floating around. It was really really easy. Just loaded the nandroid up and restored it. This is a good walkthru I'm sure, its just I could never get the program to keep a connection to my phone. It would start the update and eventually give me the same "fatal" error. Again, sorry for lashing out at ya man. I would normally send that in a pm, but since I lashed out publicly, I thought I should atleast be a man about it and apologize the same way.

Reactions: k.c.cole
Upvote 0
Its cool, i shouldnt have been a prick in the first place. Its just IRC was nuts last night because of Froyo being released. The same questions were being repeatedly asked. And those who repeatedly asked got their asses chewed because they were in the IRC and active when the questions were asked and answered. That and everbody starts bitching because i build a flashable zip for froyo and it turns out not to work all of a sudden. and everybody was demanding. not saying thanks. etc. and quite frankly i got annoyed. and then i got on here saw your question and i was a prick. so for that I apologize. You have no reason to apologize though. As it was I who was at fault, not you.

As for the guide, i dont know what the hell got up its ass but its not working right for me either.
I would post a guide on how to use LGNPST but thats "warez" against forum rules, and it erases the MEID so getting that back is a PITA and though you're doing it honestly the whole MEID "fixing" is frowned apon and is debatable on whether or not it is legal.

I would post but i dont need to get my ass chewed by a mod/admin for posting something thats clearly against forum policy/federal law.

BUT its in "private" testing. More secure communications i can explain, this is public. email/gtalk/PM are fine. BUT ONLY if you post here first and i give express permission to pm me. but they have to put a code word in the subject or i automatically trash it.

Upvote 0
death,
my wife plugged in her phone to transfer a picture and she said that the LG updater downloaded some files etc..and now the phone will only boot loop, but i can get it to boot into recovery, it will let me flash zips, but still goes into a boot loop, upon reboot. I tried the unbrick procedure, but when the updater comes up, it can't connect to the phone, because it is boot looping..any ideas

Upvote 0
death,
my wife plugged in her phone to transfer a picture and she said that the LG updater downloaded some files etc..and now the phone will only boot loop, but i can get it to boot into recovery, it will let me flash zips, but still goes into a boot loop, upon reboot. I tried the unbrick procedure, but when the updater comes up, it can't connect to the phone, because it is boot looping..any ideas

dude im having the same problem and its now stuck at the "downloading, do not unplug" screen and at a constent boot... cant get it to connect to more then 4% of the update

i thought it was just my gfs phone

Upvote 0
IF YOU HAVE THE SAME ISSUES WHERE YOUR PHONEGOES INTO A BOOTLOOP OR HAS THE FATAL ERROR WHILE DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE AFTER PUSHING THE v6 CAB ON YOU CAN CALL VERIZON AND EXPLAIN TO THEM YOU DID A LG SOFTWARE UPDATE AND IT CRASHED DURING INSTILATION AND THEY WILL SEND YOU A BRAND NEW ALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR BRICKED/ALLY.. BUT DONT WORRY ABOUT THE WARRANTY BC AFTER YOU FLASHED THE V6 STOCK CAB NO PROOF OF ROOT SO

ENJOY YOUR BRAND NEW ALLY :D

I GET MINE MONDAY

Upvote 0
told them i got the ota update notification and it wouldnt let me start the download so i went and got the lg software download and it crash my phone. my ally was literally fried so bad that the store couldnt even flash it to prompt a software installment.. so i got my new one free of charge... but call verizon first andexplain to them that it crashed and they will send you to technical support then tell them the same thing.. lg software started the download then stopped.. tried again and "fatal error" popped up then they will have u either take it to verizon store to be flashed or order you a new one right then and there ONLY IF YOUR THE PRIMARY NAME ON THE ACCOUNT

Upvote 0
Actually if your name is on the account and you know the account information they will do it as well.

well thats what im saying.. should choose my words more wisely.. but did a great job on this project tho death

my friend bricked his ally and its been collecting dust till i showed him your post and now hes up and running so congrats on fixing the unfixable

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones