• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbricking/Unroot/Return to Stock LG Spirit 4G

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Due to the phone having a locked bootloader, it's very likely you will brick your Spirit somehow.
This will fix that. :D

Stuff to Download
Download Firmware: http://androidforums.com/spirit-4g-...-lg-spirit-4g-official-firmware-ms87010a.html
Download Drivers: MS870 3.8.1 Drivers
Download KDZ: KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.zip

Getting into Emergency Mode (Download Mode)
From powered off,
Hold volume up and down and plug in USB.
(To get out of e-mode, hold power button for 10 seconds, or pull battery.) DO NOT DO WHILE FLASHING

Instructions:
  1. Install phone drivers
  2. Install msxml.msi
  3. Disable antivirus software
  4. Open UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe
  5. Wait for the program to open
  6. Look for "Encrypt cab file to kdz file"
  7. Click the folder icon
  8. Choose the location of the cab you downloaded for MS870 firmware
  9. Encrypt cab -> kdz Program will freeze up. DO NOT EXIT until program shows the location of the new file!!! Otherwise it won't finish converting.
  10. Close program
  11. Open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  12. "Type" choose CDMA
  13. Choose in "Phonemode": Emergency
  14. Click the folder icon and choose the kdz file that UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe just made.
  15. Click Launch software update and enjoy!

If you are stuck in a bootloop after this, from powered off:
Hold Volume Down+Power and press Power. You will lose all data not stored on SD card.

Phones don't fix themselves!
Please Donate

Then after phone reboot factory reset from settings menu. You will then be completely unrootee and back to factory

Upvote 0
When I try step 4, Open UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe I get The program can't start because LGMobileDL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. I run the MS870 3.8.1. Driver installer again and still have this issue.
Repeat the unbrick method from the beginning only this time have your anti-virus disabled.

Upvote 0
Antivirus was disabled when I began the process. Uninstalling it now.

Edit: Well that didn't do the trick either, or after a restart. Going to try another computer, this one is relatively perforated with LG crap after having gone through test mode fix with an LG Esteem.

Edit Mark 2: Okay, been across three PCs now, one running Win7, one running Vista and another running XP. Uninstalled antivirus on each of them just to try to get this going, as it seemed to be the driver missing (i.e. not installing) that caused all this issue. Nutshell: Still not installing on any computer. So, I went googling for LGMobileDL.dll, found it, dropped it in the folder that UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe is in, and the app opens. Buuuuuuut, can't do anything with it. Maybe I need someone to explain the steps to me like I am four, but I don't see what I could possibly be missing or doing differently from these instructions as they are given. Had to google around for msxml.msi as well as it was not linked here either, could this be part of the issue I'm having? I appreciate anybody's help, I'd love to have my phone back. :(

Edit 3, Attack of the Edits: I might add, I hear the USB connect/disconnect sound constantly as I have this phone plugged up in the emergency/download mode. It's just not searching for drivers or anything, pretty sure they are all there and already installed.

Edit 4, Dammit to Hell: Well, looks like my problem is that I followed the instructions a little too closely. msxml.msi, as well as the dll file, are all in the KDZ zip, which I didn't bother extracting yet as I'd not reached that point in the instructions. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Antivirus was disabled when I began the process. Uninstalling it now.

Edit: Well that didn't do the trick either, or after a restart. Going to try another computer, this one is relatively perforated with LG crap after having gone through test mode fix with an LG Esteem.

Edit Mark 2: Okay, been across three PCs now, one running Win7, one running Vista and another running XP. Uninstalled antivirus on each of them just to try to get this going, as it seemed to be the driver missing (i.e. not installing) that caused all this issue. Nutshell: Still not installing on any computer. So, I went googling for LGMobileDL.dll, found it, dropped it in the folder that UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe is in, and the app opens. Buuuuuuut, can't do anything with it. Maybe I need someone to explain the steps to me like I am four, but I don't see what I could possibly be missing or doing differently from these instructions as they are given. Had to google around for msxml.msi as well as it was not linked here either, could this be part of the issue I'm having? I appreciate anybody's help, I'd love to have my phone back. :(

Edit 3, Attack of the Edits: I might add, I hear the USB connect/disconnect sound constantly as I have this phone plugged up in the emergency/download mode. It's just not searching for drivers or anything, pretty sure they are all there and already installed.

Edit 4, Dammit to Hell: Well, looks like my problem is that I followed the instructions a little too closely. msxml.msi, as well as the dll file, are all in the KDZ zip, which I didn't bother extracting yet as I'd not reached that point in the instructions. :rolleyes:

Always extract zips. It's a standard rule most people know to follow ;)

Upvote 0
Always follow flashing instructions to the letter, without skipping ahead, is a rule I learned to follow after ******* up a video card about ten years ago. :(
Your instructions didn't even mention where the items you were describing were to be found, and I did follow the instructions exactly as you wrote them--which was the only help that I got when I asked why it wasn't working for me here. IOW, you could write that to be more clear. I had every intention of extracting your zip when I reached the point that I needed what was in it, trouble is, you didn't describe everything that was in one of your zips.

Upvote 0
Once you get this last line, the unbrick is done and you can unplug the phone...

Step Complete : DSP Write

Umm, unfortunately, that's not as helpful as it could be - that line shows up about a hundred times. I had the program running for nearly an hour, and it stayed put at "3GQCT : wParam = 2001, IParam = 1" for more than 45 minutes before I saved a log and got on here to check about it.

"Step Complete : DSP Write" came at the end of every friggin' step in the process until that last line. Is it finished? Is it stuck? Do I unplug the phone and try to boot it? Do I run the unbricking program again? What gives?

My log file is attached.

Attachments

• May 21 7pm unbrick log.txt
    8.1 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0
Umm, unfortunately, that's not as helpful as it could be - that line shows up about a hundred times. I had the program running for nearly an hour, and it stayed put at "3GQCT : wParam = 2001, IParam = 1" for more than 45 minutes before I saved a log and got on here to check about it.

"Step Complete : DSP Write" came at the end of every friggin' step in the process until that last line. Is it finished? Is it stuck? Do I unplug the phone and try to boot it? Do I run the unbricking program again? What gives?

My log file is attached.
Step Complete : DSP Write param 90

For me at least
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Please Help: I've unbricked my phone dozens of times but for some reason this time after running KDZ_FW_UPD.exe the phone gets out of download mode and goes to just a black screen. When I try to reboot it then gets stuck at the metro pcs screen. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I actually broke it this time. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Do a factory reset.

Upvote 0
So after i downloaded everything it seems that when i click to open, UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe it does not open i also right click run as administrator still wont open help?

can you upload the file after you run it through Uptestex_mod2_marwin.exe
that it creates ?

Help?

I answered you in other thread. Please do not post in more than one thread with copy and paste. I always respond when I'm available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones