• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Under (rating) attack

carlie-o

Dec 29, 2010
I guess most of you have heard about the recent rating-attacks on the android market.

Apparently, there are now companies that offers bad ratings for competitors.

And simple mathematics says that if you are having a 4,5 stars average, and then get 20 one-star rating - you will need A LOT of 5-stars to get up to the 4.5 stars average again.

It happened to me, and I wonder if any one has any tip on what to do?

Ratings gives traffic, and traffic pays the bills.

As I see it, I have some alternatives:
1. Discontinue the app and ask users to download a new one with a new package name but same content (start all over again)
2. Call all my friends and collegues and try to get the vast number of 5-star ratings needed to get to the 4,5 average again.
3. Just admit that i

This is the first I've heard of this kind of meddling, but I guess every complex ecosystem has its wasps. :(

Especially if this is an up-and-coming "threat" to the market, I'd advise you to inform Google -- it may not be strictly against their rules as they are now, but if enough merchants complain they're bound to do something about it. Maybe you'll be the first to complain -- maybe you'll be the one tipping the scales.

Good luck. :eek:

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies guys.

Of course i

Attachments

• 2011-02-20 13-14-31 PM.png
    2011-02-20 13-14-31 PM.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0
That would be one explanation,

but i guess you have not downloaded the app to see for yourself?

There is not a lot of ads, it is not slow, and is not comparable to google images.

And comments like these are simply not true:
by shauna ann (January 31, 2011)
Hides itself in program list. I would avoid this

As you can see, the distribution of ratings is really unpropitious, with a lot 4 or 5, and then nothing, some, and then a lot of 1 star.

And the one star all came in a very short time-frame.

Maybe you are right, but isn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones