Under-reporting of signal strength fixed??General

1. ozarkham

ozarkham Well-Known Member

About the only "issue" I've had with the Dinc2 is that it reports a signal about 5 dbm lower and 1 bar lower then my old OG Droid. However I've noticed in the past several days the dbm and bar indicator now show levels on par with what my OG Droid was showing. Anyone else notice this and was this part of the last "minor" software update?

Advertisement
    :
  2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Well-Known Member

I am not sure I'd characterize it as "under reporting" as much as the phone actually having a lower signal. I don't think that can be fixed via software. Seems like a hardware issue to me.
  3. ozarkham

ozarkham Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed any actual decrease in coverage which leads me to believe the hardware is working fine and there is (or was) an issue with the software
  4. eric328

eric328 Member

Better than the Apple approach ie. inflating the bars without improved signal... At least you know it'll work right?
  5. hilmar2k

I certainly have. In fact, a friend has a VZW iPhone 4, and he gets signal where I don't. And in my office, I bounce back and forth from 1x to 3G, where on my BlackBerry I was always in 3G.
  6. esn

esn Well-Known Member

There is definitely a signal issue with this phone and I hope HTC comes out with a fix soon. When verizon gave me this device to fix the issues I had with my fascinate I noticed the signal issue right away. My signal at my home was horrible so they gave me a free network extender for my home now I get 5 bars all the time.
  7. Droid Fireman

Droid Fireman Active Member

The antenna is at the bottom of the phone. Holding it at the lower end of the phone results in a lower signal strength. Kind of iPhone-esque if you ask me. Hold the phone at the bottom and look at the bars. Move your hand up and You will see a one or two bar improvement.
  8. seejoshplay

seejoshplay Well-Known Member

How did you get that done? I have a horrible signal at work & would love one of those things... :cool:
  9. hilmar2k

I have a range extender being delivered tomorrow (for my office). I called Verizon and complained about the coverage. They offered it up at no charge.
    seejoshplay likes this.
  10. seejoshplay

well, i'm going to do that tomorrow. hot damn. thanks!
  11. seejoshplay

just curious, y'all say anything in particular? or just call and say i have no service at my office, i have *228 many times, what can I do?
  12. Drunder40

Drunder40 Well-Known Member

I also noticed a differece from my LG phone to my Dinc2. The LG had a stronger signal.. I don't see why a firmware update that increases the receiver sensitivity for the Dinc2 would not help..

But then again, I am not real familiar with the ins and outs of cell phone
    radios... /shrug
  13. hilmar2k

I just said that if Verizon couldn't provide adequate coverage in our office, we would have to find a provider that could.

The other thing I had already done was to call Verizon tech support and place a service tech for poor reception. They sent a tech out to our area to check the coverage. The tech made a recommendation in our file that we get a range extender. I thne called in and Verizon offered it to me at no charge.
  14. seejoshplay

Cool, getting them to send a tech out - hopefully they offer up a repeater.
  15. hilmar2k

Just installed my network extender. Went from 0-1 bars to 5 bars after install. So far so good.
  16. seejoshplay

nice! apparently Verizon is already working with my building to solve the problem... so at least they are AWARE that this is a black hole.

Good to know that those repeaters work.