Understanding Contacts vs PeopleSupport

Last Updated:

1. opplife

opplife Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry folks for the newbie question. I have a new htc desire and I want to:

1. Understand the difference between Contacts and People in the phone? What I mean by that is under the list of programs there is one called " People " if i click that I see I can add people with ( phone, email and birthdate )

Yet I also see on my 2nd screen a widget called " Favourites " which says Add contacts and when I hit add contacts it already has a list of names and emails that I totally dont recall adding but I do recognize. I believe it pulled them from my gmail account, So i have deleted them in gmail as I dont need them, but is there a way to delete them all in one go in the phone?

2. What is the best way to add peoples phone numbers in the htc desire? what steps should I take

Thanks kindly for any advice.

Advertisement
  2. fried

fried Well-Known Member

You can organise your contacts into groups - family, friends etc. as with other phones. Favourites is just one of those groups and that's what the widget is displaying, so you're just seeing a sub-set of your contacts. I use that widget so I can quickly access the contacts that I'm emailing, texting and calling the most.

If you entered in a Gmail account when you set the phone up and if you have it set to sync contacts in Accounts & Sync under Settings, then that's why your Gmail contacts appeared on the phone. If you create a new contact on the phone as a Google Contact, that will also sync with the website.

If you go into the People app, it's split into regular contacts, groups, online directories and call history. If you look at the list of regular contacts and press the menu key, you can choose the Delete option and then you can simply check a box next to each contact you want to delete. You can add a contact by pressing the menu key and choosing the relevant option. You can also use the import/export option if you want to import contacts from a VCF file on the microSD card or from the SIM card. Personally I prefer to have all of my regular contacts as Google contacts, so their info is synced online, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

When you press Phone to make a call, contacts are listed in the following order, alphabetically for each group: -

People you've called
    People that have called you
    Favourites
    Everyone else (including social networking contacts)

You can quickly find a contact by just typing a few consecutive letters/numbers from their name or number on the keypad. It's better to get used to doing that than scrolling up and down what can be a very long list IMO, especially as accidentally tapping on a contact will automatically call them.

3. opplife

Excellent thankyou. I managed to delete those gmail ones in gmail and inside the phone. Now I have added new contacts. They are all setup.

I tried to use the cybertron voice command and call home ( name of one of my contacts i added ) but instead it still brought up those old gmail synced ones, I wonder if its storing them somewhere in voice command too

4. opplife

Went to menu and all the new ones were there for voice command. Will try again