Understanding google voice

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a google voice number and I have the friends and family plan on verizon. I currently have my google voice number on my friends and family plan. Do all calls that go through my google voice number count as friends and family? Also, I currently do not have google voice set up to make calls. If I were to set it up that way, would that mean that all my outgoing calls would also be counted as friends and family?

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

The way you are set up right now all incoming calls to your GV number will count towards FF (free calls).
    If you just use GV to call out they will still count as minutes but will show on the recipient's phone as your GV number.
    If you use something like Google Voice Callback FREE - Android app on AppBrain then your outgoing calls will also go towards FF and be free.
    GVCB is a nice little app, you have to set it up using filters and there is a delay while it calls you back but all calls are then free.

edit: you don't have to use the filters, you can set it up for all calls. The filters come in handy for non-Vrz mobile to mobile numbers or other FF numbers.

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Didn't Google make some changes with 0.4 and Direct Access numbers, though? I'm definitely not the authority on this because I don't care about cell phone minutes. I use under 100 a month, so I honestly don't care how many I use, but Direct Access numbers should have changes something. Rolling back to an older version of GV should fix it because they specifically stated that you have to upgrade to 0.4 to take advantage of Direct Access numbers.

4. Clementine_3

They did make changes, I'm not sure which update though. There used to be a static access number that you could add to FF, it didn't change (often). Now they don't use that so there is nothing to add to FF. That's why you have to use some sort of callback app to fully utilize free calls/FF.

5. n813ca

n813ca Well-Known Member

so if I use the google voice call back and I don't have a plan to make my number part of the friends and family does it go towards my minutes? I don't have the 5 numbers or whatever free.

6. Clementine_3

If you don't have FF or Fave 5 or anything like it then you don't need to use GV Callback type apps, just use GV to make outgoing calls. The only time a Callback app is needed is when you do have a FF or Fave 5, that's how you get the free minutes. Otherwise, everything goes towards regular minutes....which is all you have ;)

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

There are apps to dial out via your GV number as well if you do have F&F.

Are you referring to inbound or outbound calls? For inbound, unless you changed GV's caller ID setting they're F&F if the caller is on your F&F list.

If in doubt, take a look at your usage.

8. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the input from everyone. I'm going to try GV callback and check my usage also to see how it's all working.

9. eric16l

eric16l Active Member

My understanding of this is a little different. I could be wrong, but this is what I understand:

For incoming calls: By default, GV displays the caller's phone number on your caller ID. With this setting, you are not saving any minutes adding your inbound GV number to your Friends and Family. Keep in mind that all your Google does when someone calls your GV number is forward the call to your phone (mobile in this case). So if I call you from 212-555-1234, and that number shows up on your caller ID, then it is like getting a direct call to your mobile number from 212-555-1234. All GV is doing is forwarding the number to your mobile. This will cause you to incur regular minutes to your calling plan (as if the caller called you directly without using your GV number)

If you have your caller ID always display your GV number when an inbound call comes in (this can be changed in your settings of your GV account), then having your GV number added to your Friends and Family plan will make all incoming calls free. You can then use the addition of Call Screening (in your settings of your GV account), you can have inbound callers announce themselves by saying their name so that you still get the benefit of knowing who is calling you even though your caller ID is showing your GV number.

For outbound calls: Like ShadowDude said, when Google updated GV (2 iterations ago) they added direct access numbers for each of your contacts. In the past, you had 1 static outbound number, that if added to your Friends and Family plan, would result in all of your outbound calls being free. Now that you have individual direct access numbers for every number you dial, you only have 3 options (that I can see).
    1. Use an app like Clementine suggested (Google Voice Call Back)
    2. Take the people you call most and add the direct access number that GV assigns to them and add that to your Friends and Family plan. Remember that you are limited to 10 numbers, so this is not ideal.
    3. Uninstall the current version of GV on your phone and download the APK file for version 0.3.0. This is the last version that used a static outbound number. Keep in mind that you will be prompted every few days to update to the new Google Voice app from the Market, but as long as you have Automatic Updating turned off, you will be fine. It is a minor annoyance, but probably your best option if you are looking for your outbound calls to be free.
    Here is an article about this from Phandroid where they link you to the 0.3.0 APK file at the end of the article:
    Google Voice Update Brings Direct Access Numbers for Speedier Dialing, Eliminates Free Calling Trick | Android Phone Fans

Hope this helped

10. MoorReese

MoorReese Member

I have GV and the GV Callback app. I have my Sprint number set as my GV number with the Sprint\GV integration option. With Sprint, I can call any cell phone number in the US (regardless of carrier) and any cell phone can call me and neither uses any of my anytime minutes. If I make a call to a non-cell phone number (like a house number or business number) and its not the night or weekend it uses my anytime minutes. I have GV Callback set for all my outgoing calls, is this using any of my anytime minutes?

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

You can always confirm by looking at your usage.

What's the number used for callbacks? I'm not sure if your GV number counts as cell or not even with the Sprint integration.