• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Understanding launchers - an iphone convert

Hi all,

Ive switched to the note 4 having been an iphone user. On the whole I am impressed. The camera is better and the pen is fun.

The thing that I hate is the look of the touchwiz dialler and the touchwiz contacts page with all that blue and green and the terrible smiley face contacts picture icons that make the phone look like its been made by Fisher Price.

I understood that if I installed another dialler eg with a nice black background theme then I wouldn't have to see this again. But it keeps coming back if other people ring me up etc or I add a contact in the new launcher then it brings up the touchwiz interface again.

Can it be bypassed?

You can download third party dialer apps or contact apps if you want to use something other than the stock Samsung interface.

When you first start using the app, you should get a notification that asks you if you want to set that application to be your default dialer/contact app. Select yes to have it be the primary app.

As an alternative, you can create a group in the samsung contacts app. Assign everyone who you do not have a contact picture for to this group, and give the group a default contact photo. Anyone in that group that contacts you will default to that picture if they don't have their own.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I've installed a dialler called "phone". It doesn't ask me to make it the default dialler though. I press its icon and it gives me a new dialler interface. I dial a number and press the call button. It then shows the touchwiz dialer for about a second with the message "conditional call forwarding active" and seems to place ty he call. iwhilst ringing it then returns to the new dialler screen which stays until I hang up. It then displays the awful touchwiz contacts page for about three seconds and then returns to the homepage.

Is this normal?! If I go to application manager then find the new "phone" app I can see that no default is set but its greyed out and I sunset this app as the default..

Driving me nuts….
Thanks

Upvote 0
I had a quick look on the Play store, but Can't find the app. Can you maybe post a link to it?
(go to play store, look under MY APPS, might be faster to find)

You might also want to check out the dialer linked below. i've been using it on my Note II and carried it over to the Note 4. It flows really nice, and you can mix a few things into it, like facebook. Updates your contacts with their profile Pictures and such
Contacts+
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.contapps.android&hl=en

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones