Undervolt and Vanilla Questions

Last Updated:

1. CheeseJam

CheeseJam Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a few questions about undervolting my phone and vanilla vs. sense:

If you want great battery life, why wouldn't you undervolt your phone as much as possible? What are the side effects of undervolting and how do you avoid them? If you undervolt your phone, what setting do you use, and how much has it helped your battery life?

I use ADW on my phone, but I use a lot of the stock sense app likes the music player, the browser, and more. If I use a vanilla rom, would I lose these apps? What exactly would I lose using a vanilla rom if I already use ADW?

Thanks a bunch guys! I am thinking about rooting my phone, and I know very little about it. I am trying to plan my attack and learn as much as possible before diving in! :)

Advertisement
  2. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I also use ADW and just rooted last night and flashed SkyRaider 2.5.2 vanilla today. There were a couple of apps I lost, or should I say replaced by this Rom. ADW started fine and even though Home switcher said it wouldn't work with Froyo it did work. I flashed the Hydra #4 kernal and will monitor over the next few days.

But it's some of the simpler things that I find intriguing like Flashlight. I also really like the new desk clock. If you feel like rooting, I don't think you'll be sorry.

CheeseJam likes this.
  3. CheeseJam

Thanks, what apps specifically did you lose (or were replaced)?

4. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Well now that I think about it, only the desktop clock was replaced. It was really the widgets that were replaced, i.e. they pointed to a non-existent app. Music was one, there is new music player. Home switcher didn't restore, had to d/l it again. But the biggies, at least for me, Touchdown, Handcent, Swype, Navigation, Pandora, and RadioTime all restored perfectly. You really need to get Titanium backup once you root. It made the job extremely easy. I will certainly buy the full version just to reward the developer.

5. CheeseJam

Thanks! What is home switcher?

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, too. I read until my eyes almost fell out of their sockets and then posted a few pointed questions in this forum. Nandroid backup will prevent palpitations once you root and start flashing. The order in which you do things is extremely important too. Deciding whether you want s-on or s-off is critical. Once you are stable and satisfied, then you can start playing around without worrying.

7. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Home switcher allows you to switch back and forth between launchers, like ADW and Sense or Launcher Pro. Then you can set a default or go back as you wish.

CheeseJam likes this.
  8. CheeseJam

Did you S-on or S-off? I am confused of the pros and cons of the 2.15 radio.

Anyone have a lot of undervolt experience?

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

S-off, but I wanted 2.15 vs. 2.05 due to the stability I read about. You can't get 2.15 with S-on. By the same token you can't revert back to s-on at this time either, which may or may not be problematic going forward. I could use a tutorial on undervolting too.