Undoing BB Apps2SD by default.

Last Updated:

1. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If someone could please tell me the script or command to make it revert back to stock, I'd appreciate it and update this post with the information.

I am hardly using 50% of my phones internal storage and get no benefit from moving the apps to the SD card. On the contrary, my SD card is pretty full, and I'd like to keep the space free. It's also piece of mind in case anything happens to the SD card.

I have read the recent threads on BB .2 and GirLove.... said something about a command, but I can't find that post right now.

Edit, Thanks PDR!

The fix:

Advertisement
    inssane and GTSchubert like this.
  2. PDR

PDR Well-Known Member

su
    pm setInstallLocation 1

*edit* I believe Pete posted that this rom was su as default so may not need to type the su command.

Branndon likes this.
  3. Branndon

Thanks, the reply was
    So I hope that means it worked.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

that is what that means.

5. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Same response on my Droid...I'll move apps to SD when I want, didn't like it being the default. Call me old-fashioned. ;)

6. johnlgalt

+5 on that - I have a lot of widgets that I use, and I just like being in control of things myself.

7. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

One big caveat here: if you run that command in terminal emulator, it will be blown away on reboot. If you want to keep it from defaulting back to SD card install, you need to edit the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file to change "pm setInstallLocation 2" to "pm setInstallLocation 1"

Easiest way to do this is to long-press on that file in Root Explorer, scroll down to "Open in Text Editor" and make the change noted above, then press the soft back key. It will ask if you want to save changes and when you say yes, it will save the original file with a .bak extension.

8. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Glad you posted the fix but what was pete thinking with this. Most have no use for a2sd

9. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Funny - I just came to this thread to post that as well. :)

Very easy to make the edit and reboot...tested and installed to phone after the edit as expected...

10. rdsok

rdsok Well-Known Member

A quick minor correction to this statement... su is defaulted only in the ADB Shell... not just any shell or terminal program. I had made the same misunderstanding and had to re-read Pete's post to understand that.

11. Branndon

Original post updated.

12. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

i agree, and an top of little use for most, it messed up almost all my widgets..facebook, twitter, pure calendar, beautiful widgets, all of these upon reboot had issues

In my mind having to reapply all these widgets ever reboot is a big bug that came from this new feature.. glad we can easily disable though

13. johnlgalt

14. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Pete listed this:
    In my latest release I enabled apps2sd to work on most apps (even the ones that do not support it yet). Most of your apps will work flawlessly but there are some such as widgets and others that may not. Also you may have other questions about this feature and I will try to answer them as they come.

Q) My Widgets and other apps are not working properly on the sdcard, what do I do?

A) Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Example App > Move to Phone

Q) Does having apps installed on the sdcard cause an ill effect on its performance?

A) No not at all, stated by Google here: App Install Location | Android Developers

Q) Why are my my market apps not showing up in my app drawer?

A) If they are installed on your sdcard you must have it mounted or wait for it to mount before they appear.

Q) How do I disable automatic apps2sd permanently?

A) In /system/etc/install-recovery.sh change "pm setInstallLocation 2" to "pm setInstallLocation 0" with no quotes.

All About Apps2SD (FROYO) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

He states "0" not "1"
    I edited 0 so hopefully all will be well.

15. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Just went back in and changed it to 1
    Everything else I read says 1 and I don't trust 0 for auto.

16. Markroberthon

Markroberthon Member

Anyone know why my /system/etc/install-recovery.sh file doesn't have that line in it at all? Can I just add it in if it's not there?

17. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Well-Known Member

Even though that is a simple solution.. how will it handle updates? Will the updated app be moved back to the SD?

18. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Well-Known Member

Are you running version V0.2 or 0.2.1 of Bugless Beast FRF57? If you're running an earlier version, it won't be in there.

19. Markroberthon

Markroberthon Member

Yeah, I tried after I switched back to 0.1, I was still getting reboots on 0.2.1, for some reason I thought auto install to SD as on 0.1 also. Thanks :)