• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Unfortunately, Hangouts has stopped" error

D

Daniel M

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
Android: 4.4.4

About 2 weeks ago, I let my phone go through the whole update process to the latest and greatest. Since then, about 4-5 times a day, I am getting the error message "Unfortunately, Hangouts has stopped. [Report] [OK]"

Steps taken:
- I don't use the Hangouts app, so I quickly went into the App manager and disabled it, but the error continues.
- I have done a reboot.
- I have payed attention to what I was using. It doesn't matter. Could be graphic intensive games, could be just the phone. As I said before, I never use Hangouts (or Google+).
- I have searched "google" for answers, but it is really hard question to describe, since I just get lots of results on how to disable Hangouts. (already done).

Any ideas? This is getting really annoying.

I have used it on and off and the last time I stopped using it I was getting that message. I did a few things and it went away, not sure it will help you guys or not but try:

Go to your Google account and make sure sync is off for HO's and G+
Go into HO's and sign out (if it's signed in, it might be by default)
Go to Apps in settings, HO's, clear cache, clear data, force stop and then disable
Then, just for good measure, clear/wipe cache from recovery

After I did all of that I've not seen that message. It's a pain but it did stop it for me at any rate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones