• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped working" after factory reset (lots of background info)

Jackfenton08

Jun 20, 2015
Im new at rooting and modding devices and a while back i tried rooting my htc one m8. I think I successfully rooted it but i was lost as to what to do next. Everything i tried to do didnt work, and on top of that it wouldnt let me download anything (all downloads apart from play store downloads were unsuccessful). SuperSU also said it needed to update the binaries(?) and it never could.**The biggest issue was that i couldnt update and it said phone storage mounted as read only**.
Yesterday I had the idea of flashing a stock m8 firmware or rom or whatever its called (as i said im new at this) to get it back to normal so i could start again at a later date should i choose to. I was messing around with a lot of other stuff in the bootloader(?) and whatever I did caused my phone to stop working. When i try to boot it got stuck at the htc one loading screen. I searched up and it said factory reset it, so i did, and now it comes up with setup wizard has stopped working. Whenever i click ok it comes up again. Cant get back onto my phone but I can still get into recovery and bootloader.
If you need me to answer many questions ill do my best but i might need you to explain what it is i have to do to get it.
The info i know is
-My phone is unlocked
-I dont know what version it is but from recovery it says M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
-as above^ S-ON (i think ill have to get s-off to do anything but im getting lost in guides)
-I can access teamwinproject recovery or bootloader or whichever one it is
-I have factory reset since the issue happened
-I have nothing in the restore folder although im sure i did a backup when i started
-******One of the things i was clicking on was the mount subfolder, thinking if i could mount the storage not on read only or whatever then i could update. Under select partitions to mount it had system and it was unchecked under internal storage, so i checked it, but nothing loaded or anything so i wasnt sure if it did anything*******
-******Another thing i was in was htc dumlock, although i dont remember if i tried anything. Maybe restore original boot? I have no idea what caused this problem though***
-I can see the charge at the top when the "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped", message comes up
-I ALSO JUST MANAGED TO CLICK ON THE MULTITASK BUTTON AFTER I CLICKED OK TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE, i can now access the camera from this multitasking thing, and in the background i can see the wallpaper. Theres also a google search bar.

ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED

*Edit: I think the problem is that it has factory reset and can't load the usual setup. I can navigate on one page of the phone and google search (but theres no internet), and go into settings where there is "screen pinning" and "Layout" options only.

Im new at rooting and modding devices and a while back i tried rooting my htc one m8. I think I successfully rooted it but i was lost as to what to do next. Everything i tried to do didnt work, and on top of that it wouldnt let me download anything (all downloads apart from play store downloads were unsuccessful). SuperSU also said it needed to update the binaries(?) and it never could.**The biggest issue was that i couldnt update and it said phone storage mounted as read only**.
Yesterday I had the idea of flashing a stock m8 firmware or rom or whatever its called (as i said im new at this) to get it back to normal so i could start again at a later date should i choose to. I was messing around with a lot of other stuff in the bootloader(?) and whatever I did caused my phone to stop working. When i try to boot it got stuck at the htc one loading screen. I searched up and it said factory reset it, so i did, and now it comes up with setup wizard has stopped working. Whenever i click ok it comes up again. Cant get back onto my phone but I can still get into recovery and bootloader.
If you need me to answer many questions ill do my best but i might need you to explain what it is i have to do to get it.
The info i know is
-My phone is unlocked
-I dont know what version it is but from recovery it says M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
-as above^ S-ON (i think ill have to get s-off to do anything but im getting lost in guides)
-I can access teamwinproject recovery or bootloader or whichever one it is
-I have factory reset since the issue happened
-I have nothing in the restore folder although im sure i did a backup when i started
-******One of the things i was clicking on was the mount subfolder, thinking if i could mount the storage not on read only or whatever then i could update. Under select partitions to mount it had system and it was unchecked under internal storage, so i checked it, but nothing loaded or anything so i wasnt sure if it did anything*******
-******Another thing i was in was htc dumlock, although i dont remember if i tried anything. Maybe restore original boot? I have no idea what caused this problem though***
-I can see the charge at the top when the "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped", message comes up
-I ALSO JUST MANAGED TO CLICK ON THE MULTITASK BUTTON AFTER I CLICKED OK TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE, i can now access the camera from this multitasking thing, and in the background i can see the wallpaper. There's also a google search bar.
I think the problem is that it has factory reset and can't load the usual setup. I can navigate on one page of the phone and google search (but theres no internet), and go into settings where there is "screen pinning" and "Layout" options only.

ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED

Upvote 0
OK, I'm confused but that's OK.

I'm going to ask some questions, you're probably going to repeat some of what you said already but I need to get things in context.

At the top of your bootloader screen, what does it? Please share everything through the OS version.

What version of TWRP are you running? It will say at the top of the screen.

Does the phone boot up to run or does it hang? The thing about no Internet, etc etc, confuses me a little.

Can you get me a listing doing what it says here -

http://androidforums.com/threads/bricked-htc-one-m8-help-asap.904630/page-5#post-7004406

Upvote 0
Thats cool thanks for your reply!

Software status: Modfied
Unlocked
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.25.21331147A1.06G
OpenDSP-v48.2.2-00564-M8974_DO.1211
OS-4.1.709.9
eMMC-boot 2048MB

v2.7.0.2 TWRP

The phone boots up after the factory reset, and it gets stuck saying the Setup Wizard has stopped working. This is after it boots, but i can't access any part of my phone (basically).

Upvote 0
I see - you're from down under. G'day mate.

On Telus?

OK, so here's what I see -

You have current radio firmware - great.

You're unlocked - great.

You have a very old TWRP - not ok.

And it looks to me like you have a bad rom install - not ok.

Get a new TWRP -

https://dl.twrp.me/m8/twrp-2.8.6.1-m8.img.html

Put bootloader into FASTBOOT, plug in to PC so it says FASTBOOT USB, copy that new TWRP over to where you have fastboot installed.

In a command window say -

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.6.1-m8.img

If you don't have a good fastboot, use ours, it's just what you need -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Unzip the sdk-tools.zip file just using Windows Explorer. It gives the sdk-tools folder - shift+right_click on that, choose open command window here, and you'll be good to go with the fastboot flash above.

For a good rom with a reliable installer, I recommend ViperOneM8, you can get the latest here, it's version 4.3.0 -

http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/

The installer launches a wizard called the Aroma installer.

Choose the option for a full wipe when asked.

Choose to install the full stock rom.

Choose for your carrier - anything like International GSM will do nicely.

If you don't to install a rom, ok, let me know.

The fresh install will erase your apps and data.

Let me know if it's a problem.

Upvote 0
So ViperOneM8 zip you want to get on to the phone, and then TWRP -> Install.

You can probably just copy it over to the phone while in TWRP. I did that earlier this morning myself.

Don't unzip it - just put the zip on the phone - it says that it's a zip file, but it's really an installer designed to work from inside TWRP.

Reactions: Jackfenton08
Upvote 0
installed, phone updatd, factory reset steps done (which i am very familiar with by now (;) AND MY PHONE WORKS
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a couple of questions,
what is the status of my phone now?
Is it rooted or unrooted?
will apps meant to be used for a rooted phone work now?

If not its all good I'm just curious as to whether I'll be able to try rooting my phone again in the future or whether it is already rooted.
Thank you!!

Upvote 0
And btw - make that backup before installing more root-capable apps (except Titanium Backup - that's different from a TWRP (nandroid) backup - you're going to want to use Titanium as well).

Anyway - get the nandroid backup before adding root apps.

Bad install or incompatible root app can lock you tighter than a drum.

Nandroid backup is your best friend.

Upvote 0
ahaha

I'm about to backup on TWRP
I did a Titanium backup and deleted it because the file took up too much space before the nandroid backup (silly me)
Do i need to back up system and data?
Theres 1.5GB in system and 3.7GB in data and i cant really do both i dont have the room
Im planning on transferring the backup to my computer to my computer to save space, should i do one then the other or is only one necessary?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones