Uninstall apps on htc desire hd

1. vikramsinghis

vikramsinghis New Member

Hi all, how can I uninstall / remove stock applications which came preinstalled on my desire HD. Been searching online for a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. anandv76

anandv76 Well-Known Member

in short, not without rooting your phone...
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

easy.

Edit*** 2.2 update 1 (1.72 roms) are not rootable as of 04 Feb 2011, so this will not work.

1) Download visionary app here:

19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root - Android @ MoDaCo

2) Download titanium backup from the market

3) Open Visionary and apply "Temp root". This gives you root until you reboot**

**Does not void warranty like perm rooting

4) Run Titanium, Press "problems?" and download busy box

5) Click the "backup / restore" Tab, locate the app to delete, click it and uninstall it.
    jrytan and {LCD}Stelios like this.
  4. anandv76

thanks, just a quick q. do the stock apps come back again once you reboot please? curious...
  5. SUroot

No titanium deletes them. The root permission is only needed to access /system/app directory and delete.

Once deleted, root is no longer required

It is possible that dalvik cache restores the apps but I've never seen this with this method.
  6. anandv76

didnt realise that, i had a feeling apps come back. but if the apps dont, would you be able to receive the OTA updates...alas, nothing like rooting yourself and finding out is there? just that android doesnt seem to be as "open" as maemo and havent been able to muster courage to do it even though have it from week one on my N900...
  7. SUroot

Ota should be fine but be prepared for ota updates replacing the apps you delete.

I.have recommended this method to sd desire users and it worked fine. But try it if you have something that is problematic and you have no other way to deal with it
  8. {LCD}Stelios

{LCD}Stelios Well-Known Member

You need the paid version for shell or can you use the free version:confused:
  9. anandv76

just managed courage to try it and visionary didnt work on the version i have on my dhd. aborted my attempt therefore...
  10. {LCD}Stelios

What version do you have. I have 2.2 I got temp' root but I can't figure how to get rid of the bloatware?
  11. anandv76

got 2.2.1 too. trying again...how do you know you have temp root pls?
    Nope, no luck...titanium says not rooted all the time... [​IMG]
  12. {LCD}Stelios

I had SU and it asked me to allow Titanium which I did, but I couldn't use Titanium.
    Did you have usb debugging enabled?
  13. anandv76

yep, tried many options but my phone became so laggy that i had to reboot. and then eventually ended up uninstalling. i pressed temp root now and screen went blank for a min or so...
  14. SUroot

You get an app in the app drawer called superuser. This controls apps SU access.
  15. SUroot

What do you mean you couldn't use it? Can you elaborate please?
  16. anandv76

have read at other fora and even this forum that visionary doesnt work with the latest OS vesion i.e. 2.2.1. i believe you need to downgrade and then root, not sure how true/factually correct it is. was too late at night and wasnt in the best frames of mind. but comparing with maemo on my N900, it was a piece of cake....ahh android...
    SUroot likes this.
  17. SUroot

Ahh yes you're right. 1.72 (2.2.1) is not yet rootable. Sorry dude. I'll update that post for future then
    anandv76 likes this.
  18. anandv76

19. anandv76

no worries mate! as i have said in other threads, maemo/meego = built to root, android = not so...
  20. SUroot

Its not android, its HTC. 2.2.1 is easily rootable. ANy Android version is. Its a combination of HTC additions to roms, security flags, hboots etc.
  21. {LCD}Stelios

You can still temp root with visionary, well it worked on mine?

Android version 2.2
    Baseand version 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M
    Kernal version 2.6.32.21-gf3f553d
    Build nuber 1.32.405.6 CL278359 release-keys
    Software 1.32.405.6

Is mine not 2.2.1? There are no updates available?

I get temp' root I click the Backup/Restore tab but the only two app's that show up are Country , Language, time zone and WIFI access points?
    I just updated Titanium backup I still can't work out to uninstall app's with titanium backup?
    Sorry for being a dive!
  22. SUroot

youre still 2.2, not 2.2.1. It would say that or 2.2 update 1 in android version so youre alright.

Providing you have not rebooted since temp root, when you go to the backup restore tab, it should list all the apps you have there, is this where you're looking?

For example you should see this:

[​IMG]

Then when you press an app you should get:

[​IMG]

And you just press un-install

This is the pro version, but this is also in the free version
  23. {LCD}Stelios

I just get Titanium options.
    Account.
    Application widgets.
    Bluetooth pairings.
    Country etc.
    I have tried the different filters with no luck?
    I have enabled Chuck Norris mode but still no joy?
    Also how did you get that screenshot.
    Thanks for your help.
  24. SUroot

Can you download drocap from the market and get me a screenshot of the overview tab and backup / restore tab please?
  25. {LCD}Stelios

Yeah sure mate thanks.:)

[​IMG]
    SUroot likes this.