Uninstall apps that won't uninstall

Last Updated:

1. saintdismas

saintdismas Member

Phone: LG Vortex
    SD card: 2GB

I've been running low on memory. I deleted a couple apps that I don't use much and the Google+ app which I do use but at 24MB it's huge relative to everything else.

There are a number of apps that came with the phone though that will not uninstall. Namely, Bing, Slacker Radio, Scrabble, and Tetris. I've tried:

• going into Settings > Manage Applications (Uninstall button greyed out)
    • going into the Marketplace, finding the app, and hitting uninstall (Scrabble and Tetris weren't found)
    • downloading LauncherPro -found out about that here while researching my problem (told me that the apps were unable to be uninstalled)

For Bing and Slacker, if I click on uninstall, it only asks if I want to uninstall any updates. I don't care about updates. I just want the damn thing gone!

Any other ideas?

Advertisement
  2. lrv

lrv Well-Known Member

You need to root in order to delete those apps.
  3. JaSauders

JaSauders Well-Known Member

Not to mention once you're root you could always do what I did to counter the low memory thing.... I got an 8 GB sd card and partitioned it 2 GB ext3 and the rest fat 32. Then using link2sd I was able to "truly" install apps to the sd card on the ext partition. Just a thought...
  4. n2bowling

n2bowling Well-Known Member

This is freaking ridiculous, I turn on my phone and theres to many spam apps on it so I then go to uninstall and all it gives me is an opportunity to disable BUT not uninstall...what gives???

I have not installed anything weird at all...
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

What do you mean by "spam apps"? Do you mean carrier/manufacturer installed bloatware (which you will need root to uninstall) or something else?

If it's pre-installed apps, then disabling them is probably as good as uninstalling for most people. System apps live in a different storage partition, so uninstalling them doesn't gain more space for user apps.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Sounds to me like he's referring to carrier bloat
  7. n2bowling

n2bowling Well-Known Member

I've had my NOTE now for about 1 month and really just a couple of spam programs would pop up and they uninstalled very easily, however, today when I checked my

phone I found a lot of apps/program icons on a couple of my pages (running ics) so I went into the Settings/App program to uninstall the new apps/programs that are there now

which I didnt install and there is no uninstall tab, just a "Force stop" so thats why I asked the question 'is there a uninstall' app that will uninstall any app for my phone? Thx
  8. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

Titanium Backup will uninstall any app on your phone, including system apps. You can use the free version. But, you need to root your phone.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

n2bowling, you are saying that apps appeared on your homepage without you installing them? Can you give some examples?

Push advertising can put shortcuts on homepages. See the sticky post about it in this forum. But I wouldn't have thought those would appear in the app drawer/menu.

Edit: one thought: if these are really new system apps, have you received an update recently? That could add new bloatware.