• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Uninstall Pre-Installed Apps on Droid Eris

I keep getting read only file system errors when attempting to mess with anything in /system/app. Ideas?:
Code:
# rm -fR com.htc.StockWidget*
rm -fR com.htc.StockWidget*
rm: cannot remove 'com.htc.StockWidget.apk': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove 'com.htc.StockWidget.odex': Read-only file system
#

You have to mount your system directory for rw privileges. Copy to your cmd line after opening adb shell and setting su:

"mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"

or go to the unwanted apps thread to learn more.

Perhaps we should compile a list of known apk's which can be removed...as well as any other file locations which need removed to complete the removal. Thanks droidkevlar for the start :)

There is already a large list in the unwanted apps thread in the root section.

Upvote 0
You have to mount your system directory for rw privileges. Copy to your cmd line after opening adb shell and setting su:

"mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system"

Even when I mount ok, I still can not remove files, it keeps saying that: rm failed for xyx.apk, Directory no empty

I tried with and without -rR. It even sometimes cause my phone reboot - mine is Wildfire. Do you have any idea?

Upvote 0
Go to a command prompt and type "adb shell"

You should see a # sign, that's the root terminal on your phone.

In order to remove apps, you need to remount your system folder on the phone with write permissions. To do this type "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" (it won't say anything it will just go back to a # sign again)

Now type "cd /system/app" and then "ls"

That will list all the apk files, which are the applications.

You can remove them by typing "rm -r Whatever.apk" (it's case sensitive)

BE VERY CAREFUL doing this. Don't just go around deleting apps. Some may not be safe to delete as they are connected with other apps, etc. Those three I posted are safe to delete.

Upvote 0
To remove pre-installed apps, touch and hold the app you want removed. The phone will vibrate, letting you know that you are in edit mode. Without lifting your finger, drag the app down to where the "Phone" button was, but which now says "Remove". Voila.

can't you just open the back, take out the battery, then reach in and pull out the ones you don't want??!!

Upvote 0
Go to a command prompt and type "adb shell"

You should see a # sign, that's the root terminal on your phone.

In order to remove apps, you need to remount your system folder on the phone with write permissions. To do this type "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system" (it won't say anything it will just go back to a # sign again)

Now type "cd /system/app" and then "ls"

That will list all the apk files, which are the applications.

You can remove them by typing "rm -r Whatever.apk" (it's case sensitive)

BE VERY CAREFUL doing this. Don't just go around deleting apps. Some may not be safe to delete as they are connected with other apps, etc. Those three I posted are safe to delete.

A few important notes on this -

1. The pro version of Titanium Backup will let you freeze an app. That makes it un-runnable - as if it were deleted, just still taking up space. Many suggest freezing first to ensure no bad side effects for those tinkering around with apps, and then delete when you're sure it's ok.

2. Personally - I recommend doing a full nandroid backup before attempting anything of this sort (and yes, I've done the above myself) - and then a nandroid restore at the first sign of trouble - you might easily mis-type something and delete the wrong thing.

3. This is most important - when you delete just an apk, you're liable to leave trash in the dalvik data/cache areas that make your phone get a little wonky. (The Dalvik Virtual Machine is what makes Android Android instead of just a fancy name for Linux.)

You can clean up your data/cache areas from recovery - or by doing a factory reset. Personally, I back up the good stuff, do a factory reset, then restore the good stuff - it's way easier and pretty painless when you're rooted.

See tips on how to do that here - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

And btw - as memory serves - you can simply delete the app from within Titanium Backup, and save the adb route - but as I mention - I've done it both ways.

Hope this helps! :)

PS - other most important part:

To our new and newer members I'm seeing here - Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
hey it does work on droid eris!!

Don't know if it works on the Eris, but this works on my Droid. I can drag the icon to the bottom of the screen and drop it when it turns red. That will simply remove the icon. However, if I hold the icon over the trash can for a second or two a dialog pops up that says 'drop to uninstall.' If I drop it, it goes through the uninstall process and the app is gone.

That being said, I tried it with a preinstalled app and it said the uninstall was unsuccessful.

Almost forgot, I'm running Home++ so it may just be a function of that software.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Wildfire 2.2. and want to clear some of the pre installed crud out of it to make some more space for stuff I need on it.

To my surprise, Astrofile manager let me access the system file and apps. I clicked on Adobe Reader to as a test amd was given the option to delete or move it, etc. I didn't actually test any further in case I screwed up my phone, but I thought you could only do this on a rooted phone.

Will this work? Has anyone else tried it please.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Wildfire 2.2. and want to clear some of the pre installed crud out of it to make some more space for stuff I need on it.

To my surprise, Astrofile manager let me access the system file and apps. I clicked on Adobe Reader to as a test amd was given the option to delete or move it, etc. I didn't actually test any further in case I screwed up my phone, but I thought you could only do this on a rooted phone.

Will this work? Has anyone else tried it please.

As this is the forum for the HTC Eris, you may get a better answer in the Wildfire forum: HTC Wildfire - Android Forums

However, my best guess is that, unless the phone is rooted, Astro will give an error message if you do try to delete any files in the /system mount.

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I just received my HTC evo 3D from Rogers. It also came loaded with a lot of crap...one of which was Adobe Reader (AKA lame pdf reader). I wasn't able to uninstall it no matter how hard I tried. Seems one has only one option...to root the cell. Now I don't mind playing with fire on my PC, but my cell is still a black box to me. The prospects of 'bricking' it make this option unpalatable. What I do know is that the cell I purchased from my provider came with non-admin privileges (aka newbie). So, until I get 'totally' immersed in this droid technology, I'm keeping my fingers where I won't get burned.

Upvote 0
I just received my HTC evo 3D from Rogers. It also came loaded with a lot of crap...one of which was Adobe Reader (AKA lame pdf reader). I wasn't able to uninstall it no matter how hard I tried. Then, I discovered that If I downloaded the Adobe Reader Update from the Market, I could uninstall it completely from 'manage applications'

You probably just uninstalled the update - I bet that the app is still on the phone.

I suggest just not worrying about the apps. Don't open them, don't use them, pretend that they are not there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones