uninstalled apps leaving trash behind

Last Updated:

1. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i find it quite annoying that uninstalling an app doesn't remove all of its data

sure, this is desired behavior for some apps (a camera for instance), but imo google should have implemented a requirement for an app to explicitly request to be allowed to save permanent data, and if the request wasn't made, collect the location of any saved data and remove it upon uninstallation

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Open, un-restricted Market. Apps don't have to go through any kind of quality control so we get unfinished apps, duplicate apps, thousands of wallpaper and soundboard collections and apps that leave rubbish all over the system.

3. mrqs

did you even read past the first line? :rolleyes:

4. brykins

Erm....yes. And I was agreeing with you, but expecting Google to do anything about it when it is an un-restricted market is a waste of time, so you can stop rolling your eyes at me.

5. mrqs

then i guess you just didn't get what i meant
    it's got nothing to do with the market or how open it is, it's about the os architecture
    all that would have been needed is a compile time check to see if an app should be restricted to save its data in a predefined location that would be wiped when the app is uninstalled
    basically just another permission, like internet access or read contact information

6. brykins

Sorry - you caught me on a bad day :)

I just get frustrated that something SO good as Android can be messed up so badly by a company so big as Google.

7. alexaner

alexaner New Member

Hi

My 2.3.4 android phone has applications like google maps installed by default, when I update the software and then uninstall it again it reverts to the older version the was originally installed but the problem is that I see that several megabytes of the internal memory are not freed so after the uninstall I loose a few MB.
    I also tried with google voice with the same result, I started with 55MB free and after install/uninstall I only have 49MB free so I wonder if anyone knows what is occupying the 6MB I lost.

The phone is rooted, I tried to search but I only found the downloaded apk in the cache folder with is deleted after a reboot so it is definitely not the problem.

Thank you
    Alex

8. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Most likely application data. Open Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All and look at the details for Voice. Is a figure of around 6MB listed as "data"?