Uninstalling The 3 Network From A Now Unlocked Galaxy S2

1. Greggles1234

Greggles1234 Member

Hello, I've just migrated from a Blackberry to a Samsung Galaxy S2. The phone has been unlocked. It was previously on the 3 network but I am a loyal customer of Virgin. Everything works fine with Virgin but I've noticed the 3 application/program is still operating on the phone. It is taking up valuable space and memory. I've tried, in newbie fasion, to uninstall the 3 stuff from the phone but I can't find out how to do this.

Is there a way of completely eradicating all traces of the 3 network on the phone? I can't seem to even get rid of it's shortcut on the home-screen!

Thanks,

Greggles.

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

You need to be rooted to uninstall that, since it's firmware embedded. Are you from the US? What variant of SII do you own?
  3. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

No you can't remove the 3 software without rooting but you should be able to remove the shortcut icon. Long press on it until it changes colour/wiggles and then drag it to the trash can icon.
  4. Greggles1234

Greggles1234 Member

Can I root it, uninstall 3 and then get it back to standard? I'm in the UK and my phone is running Android version 4.0.4.

Thanks.
  5. annebrooks64

Yes but you'll need to read up on the proper thread how to do it without turning your phone into a nice shiny brick :)
  6. Greggles1234

Greggles1234 Member

Omigod! Well I'll research it and give it a go. The 3 app is wearing the battery down bigg time. Any suggestion which forum on here is best for the research? I saw a reply which suggested the " prevail atr section " would be good but I can't seem to find this forum. Thanks : ).
  7. annebrooks64

Hmm I don't actually have an s2 but if you try the search box at the top of the page it should point you more or less in the right direction. Please make sure you do read up on it first because you're basically hacking into your phone to gain access to its programming. Hope it works.
  8. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! VIP Member

Moved to the SGS2 root forum, the guys here will be in the best place to assist. :)
  9. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Greggles.

There are a few options.
    1. This is the easiest way but won't technically remove it from your phone but will stop it from running in the background. Go to settings, application manager, all tab, find the 3 app and press disable.
    2. Root and remove the app. If you follow this guide you should be fine
    http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-international-all-things-root/482994-rooting-galaxy-s2-dummies-guide.html
    3. Install an unbranded firmware on your phone which will remove all carrier branded bloat.
    You can the get the latest unbranded firmware from here, the country of origin won't matter
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1544487
    Instructions on how to flash can be found here
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/
    Slug likes this.