• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uninstalling Yahoo messenger

kruvi

Lurker
Mar 2, 2012
Hi,

I purchased my phone with Yahoo messenger already installed. When I go to manage applications, the uninstall button is disabled, and i cant uninstall it. Even after I force the application to stop, the button is disabled.
From some reason the app is always running. How can I force my android to uninstall the application?

Im using android 2.2.1

Thanks

System applications are stored in a separate partition, which the user does not have access to. Hence you cannot uninstall them with the phone as it comes. Bloatware added by networks is usually installed to system too :(

To remove them, or freeze them so that they do not run, you need to root your phone. If the term is unfamiliar it basically means gaining superuser/administrator access to the device. The manufacturer generally considers this to void the warranty, though you can usually undo it if needed.

The techniques for rooting depend on the phone. If you are interested the best thing to do is to visit the forum for your device, where people can advise you. The sticky post in the device's All Things Root subforum will contain useful links, so is worth reading first.

Reactions: kruvi
Upvote 0
Where did you find this thread - it's 3.5 years since the last post ;)

The best advice I can give is "don't remove things if you don't know what they do". The second best is "take a nandroid backup before removing anything" (i.e. a backup made using a custom recovery, which backs up the ROM - if you don't have a custom recovery, be very careful what you remove). "Freezing" an app using Titanium Backup is safer than removing, because it's easier to reverse, but if you freeze something vital you can still get into big trouble (because you need the OS to be running in order to use Titanium to unfreeze them).

General rules though: if an app has a specific purpose which you don't need, and if other apps you do use aren't integrated with it, then you are probably safe. So if e.g. you don't use Twitter then you lose nothing by removing the Twitter app. If you don't use live wallpapers, you lose nothing removing those. To illustrate the "freezing" point though, back in 2010 I froze a Flickr app that came with my phone, on the grounds that I never used it. However, the contacts app had some integration with that, which meant that it would crash if I ever selected one page of the contacts app, even trying to scroll past it. Since I had frozen rather than deleted Flickr this was easy to fix, but could have been a pain otherwise.

And yes, we do see people here who say "I didn't know what this app was so I figured I didn't need it, and now my phone won't boot - help!", which is why my first advice is if you don't know, find out first rather than just seeing what happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones