• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Uniqly identify a mobile device visiting my WEB/WAP site?

Hello.

I am completely new to mobile WAP/WEB sites development. I am analyzing some mobile content delivery platform which I am going to implement. My question is: Is it possible to uniqly identify the specific mobile device that is visiting the site whether it is a WAP 2.0 device or a smartphone with a usual WEB browser? And later use this info to know that this specific device has already been on my site.

I see some means:

1. Usual telephone number (MSISDN) which is I suppose is a confidential information and is not passed to a WAP/WEB server. I think I cannot get it "for free".
2. IMEI of the mobile device. This looks interesting but the question is IS the IMEI passed somehow to a WAP/WEB server from a mobile device? If yes then I can save it and later identify a device against my IMEI DB.
3. Any other means which I do not know yet?

Sorry for chatter but I am not new to software development. I first google then ask but now I just don't understand from what side to come to this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Grigory.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones