• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Universal 1 Click Eris App Apk - No PCs, No Scripts Needed, EASY

I Flashed the rootme.zip file

I'm not sure what is included in the rootme.zip file but I imagine it only gave you superuser access to the phone which will allow to install and use root only apps. If you want to flash a new ROM you will have to find one that you like and download it to the root of your sdcard. Once it's on your sdcard you can flash it via recovery.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what is included in the rootme.zip file but I imagine it only gave you superuser access to the phone which will allow to install and use root only apps. If you want to flash a new ROM you will have to find one that you like and download it to the root of your sdcard. Once it's on your sdcard you can flash it via recovery.

Do I need to do anything before I download and flash it? Like partition my sd card? Will this wipe my phone?

Upvote 0
Is there a thread that covers this? I have searched but am unable to find one.

wyzird,

This app does an in-place root of your phone. I.e., if you follow all of the steps, it will install Amon_RA's custom recovery and then allow and instruct you to flash the rootme.zip file via the custom recovery. Voila', you are now rooted.

Rooting using this method allows you to keep all of your settings, apps, etc, but give you root capabilities (i.e., options):

- you could download and install wi-fi tethering
- you could overclock your phone (a little more involved); i.e., make it faster
- you could download and install root-only apps like drocap2, Root Explorer, etc.

The world is your oyster (I wish I could have rooted this way).

You can, at your discretion and separate from this app, select/download a custom rooted ROM and flash it via custom recovery (although you don't have to and many folks would find this rooting method very inviting since they don't have to lose any of their current setups).

You should be aware that there are other things you need to know and do while / when rooted the most important being taking a Nandroid backup (done via custom recovery) before making any major / scary changes to your phone.

Read around the threads, especially the stickied ones at the top of the all-things-root-eris forum to get a better feel for some of these topics.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'll admit it. I was very uneasy about rooting my Eris. I'm about mid-level when it comes to tech knowledge, but the biggest scare factor for me in this situation was the chance that I'd wind up screwing something up and bricking my only lifeline to friends, family and wacky fun time apps. But after reading up on the current advancements in Rooting For Dummies and coming across this "one step method", I pulled the trigger... with splendid results! It was easy, it was quick, and went off without a hitch. Getting ready for the next phase (root app exploration) and looking forward to maximizing the capabilities of this little smartphone.

So if you, dear reader, are still on the fence like I was, fear not. Embrace the root. It's a whole 'nother world in here.

:D

Special thanx to the guru guys and gals who pioneered this procedure and who continue to tinker around with the tech. Your efforts are most appreciated!

Upvote 0
If I don't want to install a custom ROM am I done after step 3? What is accomplished with flashing the rootme.zip file? If I simply reboot I'll still be rooted and be able to use that wifi-tether app right? (that's the main reason I'm doing it) So could anyone please tell me, then point me in the right direction to the best way to tether for rooted users and perhaps some recommendations of ROMS should I ever want to install one?

Upvote 0
If I don't want to install a custom ROM am I done after step 3? What is accomplished with flashing the rootme.zip file? If I simply reboot I'll still be rooted and be able to use that wifi-tether app right? (that's the main reason I'm doing it) So could anyone please tell me, then point me in the right direction to the best way to tether for rooted users and perhaps some recommendations of ROMS should I ever want to install one?

clicking the button sets the exploit up, its launched on the first reboot, after than you have a custom recovery. After than either install rootme.zip for simple root, or flash a custom rom.

Upvote 0
Just rooted my phone with this method through the Market (THANK YOU DEVS! YOU GUYS FREAKING ROCK!). So, now what? I still notice significant lag on my phone. I haven't flashed a custom ROM, because I'm not really sure what it is I'm wanting. I'd love to get rid of the stupid bloatware that came with my phone because they are constantly running. I don't use Sense anymore since switching to Launcher Pro (which I love) but it continues to run in the background. If I just want to access basic stuff, what do I need to download or do? I would eventually like to OC, but not sure what I need.
If I go to a custom ROM, I understand the flashing process, but do I need to do a factory reset prior to flashing? What is this wiping nonsense? I feel kind of lost perusing these threads sometimes...they get way to technical.

Thanks for any help!!! And thanks again jcase and Eclips3 for all of your hard work! Where do I send the money??? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones