• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Universal HBoot Security Off (S-OFF) for Use After Visionary Method & Loading Custom ROMs

UBRocked

VZW Nexus Please!!!
Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
First off, I know that any problems I am experiencing are my fault. Nobody put a gun to my head and made me try to root my G2. I am not whining, (well, I hope I'm not) but I would like some help. :)

I watched the video and followed the instructions here:

How To: Gain Permanent Root and S-OFF on the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision | TheUnlockr

All seemed to go really well. Everything was exactly as it should be as best as I could tell until step 9. At that point when I attempted to boot into the HBoot screen the standard Tmobile screen came up after the HTC logo. Then no matter what I tried the VISIONAry program comes up and says it is attempting to root. Then it just hangs there forever and ever. I have let it sit for hours, I have removed the battery and put it back. At this point, my phone is in paperweight mode and I am too dumb to fix it.

HELP!!!!

please :thinking: :(

Upvote 0
With the handset powered off, holding VOL DOWN and pressing POWER doesn't take you to the bootloader screen?

Well, I was able to get out of hanging Visionary hell. After removing the battery and booting up I was able to get into settings and disable USB debugging before it Visonary could start again. Then I noticed that I had two versions of Visionary installed on the phone. I wonder if that is what caused the issue in first place.

I also wonder if permroot would have worked just fine had I been smart enough to boot up holding down the right keys! :eek: I was trying to do it the way I did with my Motorola Cliq. Thanks for the help, moderator!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones