Universal Root (Visionary Method) from TheUnlockr

Last Updated:

1. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

All credit goes to TheUnlockr ;)

Advertisement
  2. tase25

tase25 Well-Known Member

I used their method, and it works great.

Now I need some recommendations on what ROM to use. Any suggestions?

I have a Bell HTC Desire Z (from Canada).

I was following the guide on how to load a custom ROM but I ran into a problem.

I was able to root the phone, installed Rom Manager, and was able to get to here "Successfully Flashed ClockworkMod Recovery!" and restarted the phone.

But once I try and reboot into recovery, I get the battery image with a red exclamation mark which prevents me from going into recovery.

Any solutions or ideas what's wrong?

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

The only one I've used so far is Paul O'Brien's MoDaCo Custom ROM, as I can use his "kitchen" to bake-out the parts I don't want. After months of running AOSP builds on my Hero I have to admit that Sense 2.0 on the Z has me hooked again, so I'm in no hurry to look elsewhere right now.

Probably the best place to look is the G2/Desire Z Development forum over at XDA. There are quite a few ROM threads there, although thanks to the time of year I haven't had time to look myself for a week or two.

4. Europa76

Europa76 Active Member

Hi, is there a way to root Desire Z with updated OS 1.72? The visionary is said to work only with 1.34

5. Slug

Yes, but it involves downgrading to 1.34.xxx.xx. See this guide.

6. Mockmo

Mockmo Member

Im currently runing visionary is there a way i can put cyenogen mod on my Z without loosing my apps?

7. Slug

You've rooted your handset using the VISIONary app?

No. Changing ROMs always requires a full wipe, so you'll either have to reinstall from the Market or from backup.

8. Mockmo

Mockmo Member

I have no idea i bought the phone rooted, i have ROM manager app on my phone if that helps, is there a way i find out of it was rooted with the visionary app?

9. Slug

Sorry, when you said in the OP that "I'm currently running visionary" I assumed you meant that you had used the rooting app of that name.

In any case, it's irrelevant to you question - you can't flash CM without a full wipe. Well you can, but it's highly likely that you'll have major problems afterward due to incompatible files/data left from the previous ROM.

10. Sotoboy

Sotoboy Member

I run a htc desire z from canada (bell netwrk)
    yeah so i just tried these instructions 3 times. they dont work as far as im concerned

when i type this in :
    su
    cd /sdcard
    insmod /sdcard/wpthis.ko

THIS does not happen:

*After typing the last line, you should see an error saying failed: (function not implemented). If you DO see that, you have done it correctly and can continue.

instead something completely different pops up:

insmod: init_module '/sdcard/wpthis.ko' failed (exec format error)

after re trying all the steps 3 seperate times i decided screw the different error message, ill continue on. so i wrote the rest of the command lines and entered and it wrote something and after i entered sync like i was supposed to, turned it off, on, off and on again into the hboot menu and it still says "S-ON"

wtf do i do? im getting frusterated
    and after i complete all the steps, followed exactly and triple checked, Absoleutly nothing happens.

11. Slug

The method linked to here should work for all Desire Z models and will give you permroot and S-OFF.

12. Sotoboy

Sotoboy Member

those directions confuse the hell out of me.. how do i do open up a cmd window or terminal or whatever the crap hes talking about? TEMP ROOT

ON YOUR PC: Unzip the gfree_temp-root.zip files to a folder. From a cmd window or terminal, navigate to that folder and execute these commands:

can we dumb down these instructions for someone who doesnt soend all their time hacking phones?

like all of them? i dont understand half the stuff im supposed to do.

13. Slug

Do you own an HTC Vision a.k.a Desire Z/G2? If not then this procedure is of no use to you whatsoever.

14. navlepower

navlepower New Member

I've tried using this method, and i got s-off, but when i tried to reboot the phone it just went to the classic white HTC screen and i can't make it do anyting now, i've tried to factory reset it and anything else i can think about!

Please help me make my phone work again!

15. Slug

Do you have ClockworkMod Recovery installed? I'm unsure which method you refer to - can you clarify please?

16. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I just obtained a used Desire Z, to replace my plain Desire (I've been extremely happy with it, except for the lack of a physical keyboard and more ram).

I didn't get this instruction to work, though. The Visionary app just caused my phone to be verrrryyyy sllloowwww... :-/ :(

Instead, I came across this one-post do-it-all description:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Downgrade G2 (2.3.X) & DZ (2.3.X) & mT4g (2.3.4) & DHD w/ S-ON to Stock Froyo

That one post just worked (tm)! :D[​IMG]

After downgrading of course came a new ROM (cyanogen 7.10 in case you're interested).

Mertseger likes this.
  17. imlost29

imlost29 Member

Hi I just purchased a HTC Desire Z on ebay from someone in Hong Kong and I am currently using it on Straight Talk service. I have no idea which version of the phone I actually have but I do know that when I went in to set up the language the person I purchased it from had it pre-setup on English (Italy). There is no English (United States). So I have been trying to find a current root for my phone and am not having much luck. Can someone please help me out with any info as to where I should go/do to get my phone rooted?? Thank you.