University email not working for you? (IMAP)General

Last Updated:

1. smacky

smacky Banned This Topic's Starter

I finally got the problem fixed. I'm sure lots of people had trouble trying to get the outgoing server filled in and got error messages with them when they tried what was given to them by the university.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I finally fixed it for my phone (Tigermail-Auburn) and thought I'd share this since I've seen it in other threads for FSU, among other schools.

Quoted from the email sent to me from my OIT dept.:

"Here's Droid setup for IMAP/Tigermail-

Droid AU IMAP setup

1. If you have no accounts configured on the phone go to Email and enter your userid@auburn.edu and password , then hit Manual setup (skip to step 2 now if this is your case). If you've already configured mail account(s) on the phone you'll need to open Email and hit the menu button, then choose Accounts. This will display your current account(s). Hit menu again to choose add account, then enter the userid@auburn.edu and password as above and go to step 2.

2. Choose IMAP. Username and password will stay as they are but change IMAP server to tigerin.auburn.edu. If you want a more secure connection (which I recommend) change security to SSL (this will also automatically change the port above it). Click Next.

3. For outgoing server you'll have to use the GMail email relay. For SMTP server use smtp.gmail.com. Change the Secutiry to SSL which will automatically change the port. Enter your GMail address and password for username and password.* Click Next twice.

4. Name the account whatever you like and specify the sending name you want to use and click Done.

*If you've got a Droid you most likely have a GMail account. If not, get one as AU doesn't allow off-campus access to our mail relay, and Verizon took theirs down this summer. Using the GMail relay is the only option for sending.

IT Helpdesk"

So it turns out using the gmail relay works well as you can finally send emails instead of just receiving them and being stuck. It also updates your inbox when you delete an email using Gmail, which is especially nice because now I truly am connected to three email accounts that I use everyday.

NOTE: Obviously, the incoming server will be different, but most people have the issue of not having a working outgoing server. Use gmail for that, and the incoming server as "gmail"

Hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but it seems a lot of students have been frustrated with not being to send emails using the Mail app. Now you can. ;)

Advertisement