unknown artist?

1. westfall90

westfall90 Well-Known Member

so I have like 4 albums in the collection that say unknown artist on my galaxy nexus and I cannot figure out why. In itunes everything shows up fine, as well as when I put a usb drive with my music into my car radio. For my phone though they show up as unknown artist, they're just regular mp3s, no drm or anything. I tried deleting the artist name and renaming it in itunes so it would rewrite the mp3 file, but that didn't do anything. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Check the ID3 tags. The problem might be with the version number. Some can only read v1 tags, while others can only read v2 tags. One problem I've had is that some players aren't smart enough to look for an "Artist" tag if the "Album artist" tag is empty. Sometimes hand-editing must be done.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I think iTunes can sometimes do funny/non-standard things with ID3 tags. Never a problem if you're using an iOS device of course. Were these MP3s you ripped from CDs with iTunes?
  4. westfall90

westfall90 Well-Known Member

nope, they were free full albums I downloaded off a record label website.

comeandlive.com/home/

all the id3 tags are v2.2, and plenty of my other v2.2 ones read fine. funnily the ones that don't read also don't show album artwork. I'm using google play music.