Unknown Numbers Appeared in Contacts ListSupport

Last Updated:

1. Atariwarrior

Atariwarrior New Member This Topic's Starter

Dozens of unknown names and numbers have appeared in my Samsung Captivate's contacts list.

The numbers appear to have area codes from my state but with names like Joe Blow Repairman, they must be a fake.

My contacts list is sync'ed with Google Gmail but I don't see these numbers on my contacts list when I log into Gmail.

Is this a known virus from an App I installed? What should I do?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Atari

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

if you synced a facebook, myspace, twitter(i think) and who knows what else it will add the numbers, it usually puts the name with it though so you would probably know if that was it. other than that i really dont know

3. walkerakl

walkerakl Active Member

check your gmail "chat list". My phone sync's everyone that I email, which I hate (And if anyone knows how to get this to stop, please let me know!)

But I think all you need to do it click the drop down menu by their name in the chat section, and click "never show" and it should take them off.

4. Atariwarrior

Atariwarrior New Member This Topic's Starter

I removed about 100 or so unwanted contacts from my list. Uninstalled some apps that I recently downloaded just prior to the problem. So far no contacts have re-appeared.

I am not synced with Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace.

Now, I cannot download any apps at all. I keep getting notifications that the downloads were unsuccessful. Any ideas on that?

Thanks.

5. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

There is an option to only sync names with phone numbers - this gets rid of all the gmail replies.

6. kim:))

kim:)) New Member

This happened to me too, exactly as you say, a huge list of 'unknown' numbers turned up in my contacts list. Also the list wasn't working very well, wouldn't scroll, had to use the search function to find anyone and it was very very slow. I've uninstalled a whole pile of apps but haven't solved the problem yet.

7. kim:))

kim:)) New Member

Attariwarrior I fixed mine. It was the latest upgrade from skype. I went into skype and unsynched it, except for people already in my contact list and all the unknown phone numbers disappeared. Hope that helps.