Unknown or (Unknown) - When Dialing NumbersSupport

Last Updated:

1. drivie

drivie Member This Topic's Starter

When dialing a number, I seldom include the area code if it's not necessary because why dial 10 digits when you can dial 7 :D ...I know I could navigate to the People app or do a Search People and dial from there but I frequently just dial the number instead.

Every phone I've ever had is aware of my home area code and translates a 7-digit number to a contact if I dial without the area code but not my Incredible. For example, I dial 111-1111 and the phone automatically knows that I'm dialing Joe Schmoe (one of my predefined contacts) who's number is 222-111-1111 because my mobile number is also in the 222 area code. For some reason Android or Sense or something isn't smart enough to figure this out or there's a setting I haven't yet found.

The setting that seems like it would apply to this situation is under Settings | Call | Assisted Dialing | Area/City Code. I've confirmed that my area code is there but it makes no difference.

Is everyone else experiencing the same issue or did I miss a setting somewhere?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. renesis22

renesis22 Well-Known Member

When you get Google Voice you're going to have to change every contact's number to the 10-digit format~~

3. clipperqb

clipperqb Well-Known Member

I agree, it should find the contact without dialing the area code. I usually dial by name instead.

4. drivie

I already have Google Voice but I only use it for Voice mail with transcription and not for any other feature. Is that the cause of the issue?

5. clothdiapermom

clothdiapermom Member

any one find a fix for this?

6. drivie

Don't bother asking...everyone is already convinced there is no problem. :confused:

Just take a look at the responses in this thread. None of them truly attempt to address the issue at all. It's essentially the same as Apple's response to the antenna issue "you're holding the phone wrong"...except it's "you're dialing the phone wrong".